Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: About to give up breastfeeding !

Default About to give up breastfeeding !

Hi,

I had my daugther a month, but I still can't pump too much milk or don't have much milk. So far I can pump at most 1oz or 2oz if I am lucky. I've trying to nurse her and pump afterward. I am taking Fenugreek too with max dose. I've been supplement my baby with 2oz formula or expressed milk. I am so so tired. I didn't have enough milk for my first baby either. So far my baby is been gaining weight with half formula and half breastmilk. With my current toddler, it's hard to stick to schedule to pump. I just feed the baby whenever she needs. Sometimes I feel like she latches well and sometimes she doesn't especially at night when she is very sleepy. I was so tired that I gave up ever though I knew I should correct her. I know I suppose to give up her formula or express milk in bottle so I can feed her more frequently. But she looks so hungry after I nurse her and it was hard not to give her any bottle. After the bottle, she felt so satisfied.

Maybe I am the person who born not to have much milk. I am about to give up. I am very tired of pumping and feeing since I don't see much result.

Joy

Default Re: About to give up breastfeeding !

What makes you think she is still hungry after a feeding? How has her weight gain been? I would ditch the formula and pumping and try and increase supply naturally, by letting her dictate supply. Keep in mind that sometimes a baby is nursing for comfort and during those times latch will not be perfect.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

1-2 oz a pumping session is actually pretty normal. If you want to give your child the benefit of optimal nutrition I wouldn't give up. You are going to be tired whether or not you breastfeed. You know that right? And while I think the amount of supplementing you are doing is NOT HELPING your supply AT ALL, I still wouldn't give up if I were you. Because SOME breastmilk is better than NO breastmilk. The more you supplement, the more you will need to because you are giving your body less ques. But even with that, Your child deserves breastmilk. She deserves the immunities provided to her by it. She deserves the nutrition that you milk is making that is specifically designed BY YOU for her. She deserves that and you should do everything that you can to provide that to her.
    Also Do not confuse the situation after a child drinks formula with satisfied. It's NOT that. Formula is hard to digest. Less of it is absorbed into their very quickly forming organs and tissues. They go longer between feedings because of this. Nothing else. Breastmilk is more quickly and completely absorbed. Babies that young ARE NOT supposed to go more than about 2hours between feedings. That is the way their perfect food is created. To be eaten and absorbed almost completely very quickly. This process in nature makes it so that mother and child are almost constantly connected. And that is they way it is supposed to be.
    You will NOT create the right amount of milk for your baby is you aren't willing to let her feed on demand for as long as needed. Not matter how much or how many supplements you take. And that means often every 1-2hours feedings. Around the clock. That is what it takes. Even if you aren't willing or aren't able to do that, I would still give the baby as much breast milk as you possibly can make. Because She deserves your milk.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    You will NOT create the right amount of milk for your baby is you aren't willing to let her feed on demand for as long as needed. Not matter how much or how many supplements you take. And that means often every 1-2hours feedings. Around the clock. That is what it takes. Even if you aren't willing or aren't able to do that, I would still give the baby as much breast milk as you possibly can make. Because She deserves your milk.
    . Great post the whole way through.
    I don't know why you think you can't make enough milk based on pumping output? As PP says that is not bad output, plus by giving formula you are telling your body to make less. Then there is the heating and washing of bottles on top of feeding the baby, nursing and pumping too. You can do this. You have to trust your body though. And give her as much access to you breast as she wants so she can regulate your supply.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

don't give up mama

What is the reason you are pumping? Are you going back to work? Are you having latch trouble? Are you trying to create a freezer stash?

I ask because, unless you need a stash because you can't be around your baby due to work, I would ditch the pump for now and work on building up your supply. Have you contacted a Lactation consultant to work on the latch?

your milk supply is based on supply and demand. The more you bring your baby to your breast to nurse, the more milk you will make. Nursing lets your body know how much milk your baby needs. Every time you supplement with a bottle you aren't giving your body the signal that your baby is hungry and THAT is why your body makes less. Hang in there, you can certainly turn this around if you want to
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I thought in your other posts we gave you some great advice and it seemed like you were worrying for naught .....what makes you worried again and why are you pumping?
    Last edited by @llli*jenna562; July 3rd, 2011 at 10:51 PM.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thanks for all your replies.

The reason I want to pump is I though it would help to incresae the milk supply. It is very tired after breastfeeding, pumping, wash the puming equipments. I am not going back to work anytime soon. I want to spend this time to focus on breastfeeding. Of course, I would prefer to breastfeed, but it's not as easy as I thought. I don't want to give up, but I do feel discouraged that I am not getting enough milk based on the output of the pump. I should trust my body, it's hard. I did not breastfeed successfully for my first child, I always wonder if I can do it for this one. My friend who just gave birth a few days ago and she already pumps more milk than I do. When I heard it, I am happy for her. Yet, I felt like maybe my body is not designed to provide enough milk for the baby. I know many people do provide enough milk and they do see result after their hardwork. But not for me...

I did post it in another thread, and many people gave me some advice. I thought my breastfeeding is improving, but I am still not pumping more than 2 oz milk per session. That's why I felt discouraged.

Thanks for all your input by the way.

I think you need to walk away from the pump. It is an extremely poor indication of supply. Some women can't get a letdown with the pump while others do well. The pump is not as effective as your baby is. So breastfeed. Do skin to skin contact whenever you can. But you don't need a pump and it sounds as though it is making you needlessly worried.

How is your baby doing? Is your baby happy? Is your baby gaining weight? Does your baby your baby have plenty of wet and poop diapers?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Honestly, pumping 2 oz is quite average and normal. How much milk do you think you should be pumping? If you are nursing and then pumping and getting 2 oz, clearly you have ample supply. Additionally, when I was working FT and pumping at work - I often would get 2 oz per session. It's pretty normal.

I agree 110% with DJs Mom.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I think that your real problem here is your self-confidence. You're looking at your pump output and feeling inadequate when you really shouldn't be. Your output is fine, and you should't really expect to see more than a couple oz when you pump. I know you have a friend who gets more milk- but that doesn't mean you're not making enough. Your friend could just be one of the many moms who starts out with oversupply!

Put the bottles and the formula away. I don't think you need them.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"