Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help--2 week old

Default Need help--2 week old

I am nursing my 3rd son (my other two I pumped and bottle fed for a year). He was a great latcher from the start but this week we have started to have problems. I was really engorged and he seemed to get an upset tummy. I spoke to la leche league expert and she said that it was probably that I had to much milk and he was struggling with my fast let down. I was also pumping 3-5 minutes after each feeding to relieve my engorgement. She told me to stop but now it seems like my breasts are floppy and not full & he wants to nurse all the time but then will cry and arch his back but still root on his hand. He acts like he is pain but yet wants to eat. He will turn 2 weeks tomorrow so I don't know if he is starting a growth spurt or what??? I'm really ready to quit nursing because he just cries non stop and I can't figure out what is wrong. I don't know if his belly hurts, if he is having some nipple confusion because my breasts aren't as full as they were, if he is hungry. This is suppose to be an enjoyable bonding time but I just want to quit and start pumping. Please help me so that I don't throw in the towel. I really want this to work.

Default Re: Need help--2 week old

Also, I have tried giving him a pacifier to soothe him but he won't take one. He just acts like he doesn't know what to do with it and spits it out.

I honestly don't think two weeks in is ever really a wonderful enjoyable time. I mean....it IS a time when you get to just focus on your child but there is work to be done. Breastfeeding IS work. But truth be told, if you stick it out it WILL WILL be easier than exclisively pumping. But the period of adjustment is 6 weeks at least. Sometimes longer. In these first few weeks you must let the child nurse around the clock, and both of you are in a learning curve. No one is born knowing how to breastfeed. It takes practice. The child is growing so rapidly that problems like a tiny mouth learning to latch onto large nipples that can be a real problem at two weeks can be gone by 6 weeks.
    I completely agree with your leader. It sound Like OALD to me. Which just means that when you let down it's forceful and your child is having a hard time coping with that. One way to help with that is to nurse the child in a more sitting position to they are less likely to be overwhelmed with milk. Also maybe try pumping and spraying into a towel BEFORE you attach the child. So that the forceful spray happens somewhere besides in the baby's mouth. Your breast adjusting to the amount you are feeding is also totally normal and not cause for concern. Your child won't get nipple confusion if you don't introduce a bottle too soon. STAY FOCUSED. YOU CAN DO THIS! Count diapers. Babies cry. For all sorts of reasons. If he has at least 6-8 wet diapers in a 24hour period he IS getting enough to eat.
    But seriously, let go of the idea that nursing a newborn is supposed to be this wonderful relaxing time. It really never is like that. It's the time when we find our groove as nursing dyads. It's the time when we get to know each other. When you BEGIN to learn how to meet your childs needs through breastfeeding. And it's best if it can be done without any expectation other than to focus on feeding the baby. We all are strapped to the couch in our PJs for the first 6weeks. It's a good idea to set up a nursing station. Bring phones, remotes, laptops ect. But EXPECT to be in one place feeding the baby. If you have other small children, get a wrap if you don't already have one. So that you can keep your child with you and learn to nurse in a wrap while being "hands free". There IS a light at the end of the tunnel. Exclusively pumping takes up twice the time AT LEAST as just breastfeeding. Because you have to nurse the pump and THEN feed the child. And that is before we factor in the thawing and warming of milk and cleaning of the bottles. I can understand how if you bottle fed the first two that not knowing EXACTLY how much your child is getting could really be making you anxious. But rest assured, if it's going in, it's coming out. Track diapers and weight gain and keep it up. Eye on the prize. More energy there first weeks will equal less time feeding overall. Which will equal more quality time with your whole family. Keep at it. You are doing fine. OALD is real and it can be very frustrating for newborns. But it doesn't mean that you aren't making enough milk.

Way too lazy for formula

I personally wouldn't give a 2 week old a pacifier, that can lead to nipple confusion, but a ton of moms I'm sure do it with no issue. From what you say, as long as his wet and poopy diapers are sufficient (6wets per 24 hours) I think he is getting use to your let down. Soft breasts are normal as your baby regulates your supply, that's why the pumping was counter productive at this stage, it was signaling your body to make even more milk. both my sond went through stages of extreme fussiness at the breasts and it was early on like you mention, it's like they were DESPERATE for milk and comfort! All you can do is give it to them . Let him nurse and switch sides for as long as he wants and this stage will pass. Keep it up!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I also wouldn't try a Paci again until after the 4 week point. Nipple confusion is real and does occur and can be caused by ANY artificial nipple before the child has really learned how to nurse properly. LLL does not recommend the introduction of any artifical nipple before the 4-6week point as to protect the nursing relationship that you are working so hard to establish.

Way too lazy for formula

He is having a lot of wet and poopy diapers and at his drs appt Friday he surpassed his birth weight (born 7lb 12, left hospital at 7lb 8oz & at 11 days is 8lb 4oz). Ok, so I just need to take a deep breath and take it day by day until we both figure this whole thing out. Thank you. I just feel so helpless when I don't know what's wrong..

Figuring out what's wrong with the baby is always hard, whether or not you nurse. But when you nurse, there's this temptation to blame every fuss, every cry, every weird poopy diaper on something that you are doing or not doing. Too much milk? Too little? Is something you ate making the baby gassy? But babies fuss for so many reasons, not all related to what you're doing. So, yeah, deep breath, relax, and take it day by day. You're obviously doing a terrific job!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

you're doing so well. It's a huge step especially if you are used to EP to trust your body, but it's doing perfectly! With my first son it took a good 6 weeks to become a nursing team, but after that its soooo easy! You are already ahead of the curve if he has a good latch, so many moms have the concerns you have plus thrush or bleeding nipples , etc. Try to relax and know everything is going exactly right.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

He will turn 2 weeks tomorrow so I don't know if he is starting a growth spurt or what??
    2 weeks in he should be reaching a growth spurt. the biggest growth spurts happen at about 7-10 days, 3 weeks, 6 weeks and 3 months.

He was a great latcher from the start but this week we have started to have problems. I was really engorged and he seemed to get an upset tummy. I spoke to la leche league expert and she said that it was probably that I had to much milk and he was struggling with my fast let down. I was also pumping 3-5 minutes after each feeding to relieve my engorgement. She told me to stop but now it seems like my breasts are floppy and not full & he wants to nurse all the time but then will cry and arch his back but still root on his hand.
    this seems like oversupply issue, but after you stopped pumping they are not as full, maybe he is confused as to why there is not a fast letdown? i would try breast compressions while nursing until you have a letdown, then when you feel the letdown coming unlatch and let it come out into a burp rag for a few seconds, then resume nursing.

remember the first month or two are the hardest, and usually after that its smooth sailing. hang in there!!
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

I will have to go back to work the end of August. When should I introduce the bottle as he will EBM at daycare?