Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacifier?

Default Re: Pacifier?

PISSED!!! - I go to take a shower and my LO wakes up. My MIL takes her and apparently gives my LO her bottom lip to suck on! I asked her why she did that, she says, because she was just sucking and needing something. I said, why didn't you come get me. She says, because i came to help and i wanted you to have a peaceful shower. I say: I don't need a peaceful shower and Melaine doesn't need to suck on anything but me. She goes on to say, if she had a paci - I would have given her that. I said, you saw as I did the other day the baby doesn't like the paci. It made her spit up. and she says, well at least you got to shower.

WTF!?!? Why would she do that? I'm doing everything in my power to not to put her sh*t outside. that is extremely unsanitary and disrespectful. I can't wait to speak to my DH hubby about this!
    Born Free, Breastfed & Cloth Diapered
    Miss Melanie Elyse
    5/29/11 @ 5:47pm
    7lbs-4oz & 19 inches

I'm sorry you had that experience with your MIL. People sometimes have funny ideas about how to help.

I just wanted to offer what my pediatrician told me about pacifier and finger use (told to her by a pediatric orthodontist, I believe). She said that sucking on something all the time really doesn't interfere with jaw and tooth development or shape in early years. Some recommend breaking habits around age 4 (even that is controversial, I believe), but before that age, you should encounter a problem. If your MIL is really concerned about jaw development, perhaps you can let her read some literature about how sucking on the breast is best for infants in that area.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

DD was given one in the hospital. I didn't realize then that you were suppose to wait! She weaned herself from it when she was 5 months. We also offered DD her fists, not fingers, to suck on and that really helped!
    Ayna ~ born 10/22/09
    Still and despite the controversy of society!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ellavinophile View Post
    PISSED!!! - I go to take a shower and my LO wakes up. My MIL takes her and apparently gives my LO her bottom lip to suck on!
    seriously, what the??? sorry mama! let dh deal with it, you may lose it!

My little one sucks on his bottom lip a lot... has since birth. He also sucks on his fists and we do give him a paci because his is just a very sucky baby!! We started giving him the pacifier pretty much from birth, but only rarely at first because we didn't want to interfere too much with BFing. Now he likes it when he is napping. He generally spits it out as he falls asleep.

Did your MIL give your baby the baby's lip or MIL's lip? I can't figure out.

But you need to get on the same page with your DH. This is YOUR baby. Not HERS. You get to decide. Do you cosleep? If not, you can tell DH that that has also been shown to reduce SIDS. Does he want to cosleep too? Then your baby can just nurse all night and you don't have to worry about a pacifier.

We tried everything in the world to get our first daughter to take a pacifier so she would have it at daycare. She WOULD NOT do it. We bought every kind on the market. She only wanted to nurse. Some babies will never take them. It doesn't have anything to do with you. I'm sorry you're going through this.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Did your MIL give your baby the baby's lip or MIL's lip? I can't figure out.

But you need to get on the same page with your DH. This is YOUR baby. Not HERS. You get to decide. Do you cosleep? If not, you can tell DH that that has also been shown to reduce SIDS. Does he want to cosleep too? Then your baby can just nurse all night and you don't have to worry about a pacifier.
    My MIL put her lip in my LO's mouth! I'm still pissed out it! My DH agrees that it was nasty and unsanitary. We do cosleep and LO does nurse herself to sleep at night and during some of my naps. DH is just fine w/ the co-sleeping too. She's 6wks on Sunday and she's been sucking more and more as each day passes.

How did your LO manage in daycare without being able to nurse or taking a pacifier?
    Born Free, Breastfed & Cloth Diapered
    Miss Melanie Elyse
    5/29/11 @ 5:47pm
    7lbs-4oz & 19 inches

I won't lie to you. She had a hard time. A really hard time. She wouldn't take the bottle either for the first month or so. But I don't think a pacifier would have changed that. My second daughter sucks on her fingers. She's also a lot more easy going than my first daughter was, and has been so since birth.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mskalinin View Post
    My little one sucks on his bottom lip a lot... has since birth. He also sucks on his fists and we do give him a paci because his is just a very sucky baby!! We started giving him the pacifier pretty much from birth, but only rarely at first because we didn't want to interfere too much with BFing. Now he likes it when he is napping. He generally spits it out as he falls asleep.
    i was shockd thinking the mil put her lip in the baby's mouth mama

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post

Once she's finished with this issue, she might move onto something new to "advise" you about...you've been warned!
    yes, be prepared!
    Ayna ~ born 10/22/09
    Still and despite the controversy of society!