Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacifier?

Default Pacifier?

Question ladies -
    When did you introduce a pacifier to your exclusively BF baby? How do you use pacifiers? how often? what type?

*MM*
    Born Free, Breastfed & Cloth Diapered
    Miss Melanie Elyse
    5/29/11 @ 5:47pm
    7lbs-4oz & 19 inches

Default Re: Pacifier?

my lo doesnt like them, we tried a bunch. he will take it occasionally at day care or in the car. he has a mam a soothie and a nuk... likes the nuk the best

if you are doing a paci, make sure your breastfeeding relationship is established (usually 2-4 weeks) BUT babies suck because they are trying to get your supply up, so really a paci could leave your supply low....however, some babies comfort suck a lot.

my son flat out refuses a paci, but my aunt who had a day care says most of the breastfed babies at her place only took the soothies (the same kind they have in the hospital) or the orthodontic ones.

i wish my son would take a paci while sleeping, because he wants to nurse in his sleep, but he will only nurse for 5 seconds and fall right back asleep again. ahhh. i would bed share with him, but at 4 months he wears 12-18 month clothes and weighs in at almost 20 lbs. so he already takes a lot of space up and im worried by the time he is 1 he will take up the whole bed!!!
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

Mine didn't take one until she was older maybe 5-6 months old? I resisted giving it to her at first, only gave it to her for naps and bedtime. But of course, now she is addicted to it. It has helped with teething and getting her to sleep a little longer on her own. One problem--when it falls out at night she cries for it, even if she's right next to me!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

i tried a nuk today. baby girl sucked it in, sucked twice, spit it out then, spit up her milk from 45 mins earlier. I was so sad....still am. She sucks a lot. My mother in law has convinced my husband that if shes get to her thumb or finger, she'll ruin her mouth so now i'm under "pressure" to find a paci that works. =( I feel trapped. I have a strong feeling that she's not ready for a paci...doesn't her spitting up prove that? Or as my MIL says, I'm just using it as an excuse??
    Born Free, Breastfed & Cloth Diapered
    Miss Melanie Elyse
    5/29/11 @ 5:47pm
    7lbs-4oz & 19 inches

go with your instinct mama. i encourage my son to suck his thumb. he likes all his fingers I just want him to have a source of comfort if I am not around. Wait on the pacifier, there's nothing wrong with that.

I gave LO a pacifier at around 4 weeks. My husband saw the video that said it helped prevent SIDS, so he insisted. I held him off til 4 weeks. Haven't had a problem with nursing or supply. Made sure breastfeeding was vey well established first. At first she would only take Avent pacifiers, but now she is less discerning and will take others as well.

Your MIL sounds kind of like a pill... Just follow your instincts and do what you feel comfortable with!!

Funny, I was just posting a similar question!

I waited until 1 month to introduce the pacifier. I don't really like them and didn't use them with our first, but the information I saw was that it helped prevent SIDS and I read somewhere it can help to give a pacifier to infants with reflux after they eat and our baby I'm fairly certain has reflux which can be rough at times. We are using a pacifier from Target, I think they are MAM ones, they are sort of shaped like butterflies and are really small.

My question kind of related is, does using a pacifier reduce feeding? I get the feeling in the last few days that maybe she would eat more if I did not use it. It helps her at night go to sleep it seems but I'm wondering if she'd feed more at night without it....

Thanks!

ds1 took one from about 5 weeks until he was around 5-6 months. At 5 weeks dh took him to try to comfort him since he was crying and I had tried everything. After what seemed a long time my ds quit crying, I came into the room to see what dh was doing that had calmed the baby and he had a paci in his mouth. I had been dead set against their use prior to that incident. When ds1 started tossing it out on his own, I decided it was pointless to keep forcing it back on him so I quit picking it up if he flung it out of his reach.
    ds2 never would take one. ds1 was in daycare so I know they used it to soothe him more often than I did when we were home.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bethi18 View Post
    Your MIL sounds kind of like a pill... Just follow your instincts and do what you feel comfortable with!!

Once she's finished with this issue, she might move onto something new to "advise" you about...you've been warned!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog