Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't Maintain Milk Supply

Default Re: Can't Maintain Milk Supply

I still cannot reach the LC. I just found out that the two we have here actually work together. I have left messages with both.I talked with someone from my doctors office and they gave me a toll free number to someone through the similac formula company(like that is going to help) I thought the LC might have some info about getting a scale but it looks like I need to call Medela. Yesterday I had a boost of milk from increasing the dpd and he nursed all day but it didn't seem like he every really emptied my breast. Today I have much less and at his last feeding after nursing him for 5 minutes or so he just screamed so I ended up giving in and giving him pumped milk. I then pumped again and got an ounce so there was atleast milk there. He must just not be emptying my breast resulting in these drops in supply. Without a hands on lactation consultant I don't really know how to fix that problem except compressions and I'm already doing that. I hate it but I may just have to go to strictly pumping. I have tried to contact our health department but they won't see you or allow you to rent their hospital grade pumps unless you are on wic or medicaid. They are the only place in our town that rents those pumps. I have looked everywhere.

My son doesn't transfer milk well (which sounds like it may be your issue also), though he loves to nurse. So, I PE and just let him nurse for comfort after I pump. It helps my supply while also keeping him at the breast in hopes he'll eventually get there full time again.

As far as renting pumps, my town doesn't have any, either. But, I rented a Symphony from here:

www.angelpumps.net

It's AWESOME that there's someone out there who is willing to ship them!!
    Tiffany

BFAR to Little Man born 5/4/11

Also Momma to Little Princess born 8/22/07

Thanks for the link!! Are those pumps really that much better than the PISA? I don't understand how he gained weight so well up until now if he doesn't transfer milk well but if I can still get milk with the pump after he nurses then if definitely sounds like that is the problem especially when he still acts hungry. I ended up giving him several bottles today after his refusal to nurse so It looks like EP is probably where I am headed. I finally got him to latch while laying down late this afternoon but he didn't really nurse all that much. He just won't nurse with little or no milk.

I have to say i find the information you are giving confusing.

It doesnt make sense to all of the sudden need to start EPing if he has been doing well for 3 months. You have milk. I wonder if you have low supply at all and I still am unsure why you started taking the herbs. Many women assume taking herbs and pumping is going to bring the milk in but what builds supply and maintains it is a baby.

If your baby is now refusing to nurse:http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

good luck mama

hi, i seem to have d same problem not being able to maintain my supply.
    i noticed that my supply is low and difficult having let down between 11am - 4pm. somehow or rather DD seems to fuss a lot during these feeding time.

jl

I am sorry. I didn't mean to sound confusing. I guess I am confused too. When my baby tries to nurse and then comes away crying and sucking his fist, I have to asume he is hungry. The losing weight confirms it. I nurse as much and as often as he wants. He just acts like he can't get enough and instead of cluster feeding like a lot of moms on here talk about, he just keeps crying. After having a failure to thrive baby eight years ago, I don't want to go down that road again. I'm am not trying to get a miracle cure from the herbs. I just don't know how to get my baby to nurse longer and more often if he comes off screaming and won't go back on. The only other choice I have is to pump. I can't force him to keep nursing.

I finally talked to the LC. Unfortunately she isn't interested in seeing me. She only really helps people while the are still in the hospital. She doesn't even have a scale. She said she thinks I am doing all I can do and probably need to supplement.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*camche3 View Post
    Thanks for the link!! Are those pumps really that much better than the PISA? I don't understand how he gained weight so well up until now if he doesn't transfer milk well but if I can still get milk with the pump after he nurses then if definitely sounds like that is the problem especially when he still acts hungry. I ended up giving him several bottles today after his refusal to nurse so It looks like EP is probably where I am headed. I finally got him to latch while laying down late this afternoon but he didn't really nurse all that much. He just won't nurse with little or no milk.
    For me, the Symphony has definitely been better. Not so much in terms of emptying the breast, the PISA was doing that alright. It's just smoother and more gentle, and stronger, so it's helping me up my supply much more efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*camche3 View Post
    I finally talked to the LC. Unfortunately she isn't interested in seeing me. She only really helps people while the are still in the hospital. She doesn't even have a scale. She said she thinks I am doing all I can do and probably need to supplement.
    I would make another call. There has to be a better LC in the area. I live in the middle of nowhere, so I know how challenging good help can be to find. But, sitll, no LC worth their weight doesn't have a scale or would recommend supplementation without even seeing you first.
    Tiffany

BFAR to Little Man born 5/4/11

Also Momma to Little Princess born 8/22/07

I really am so sorry that you are struggling, it is a lot. It is confusing when you are doing everything you can think of and its not working.

If you need to supplement so be it. bf does not need to be all or nothing.

Maybe call medela about a scale?

it is also so frustrating that you cannot get someone to come to you!

Let us know how it goes and what the dr says. good luck

Just catching on to the tail end of this--have you rang your local LLL Leader or been to a meeting?
    Checkt o see how much baby is getting by counting nappies (0-6 weeks, click on link on the page for an older baby)
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html
    because input will create output. Behaviour has *nothing* to do with supply. They are not linked together. There are a million reasons under the sun for a baby to cry other than feeling hungry. So stick to input/output as a yardstick.

Weight loss is concerning, but look into it carefully. Did you weigh around the same time, after offering both breasts, and with the scale zeroed to baby's clothing? For example at the pediatrician I would hand the doc a new cloth diaper, he'd weigh it, adjust the scale to zero, then I'd change DD into the new cloth and we'd weigh her in just that. If you weighed yourself this morning after a trip to the loo and then weighed yourself again this evening after dinner you'd find your weight changes in a day. Babies' weight can too. It's worth looking into the weight question carefully.

If baby is a newborn and was delivered surgically, the IV fluids tend to collect in baby giving an artificially higher weight than s/he would otherwise have had.

Check out the common baby concerns page http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/index.html for info on fussing and crying during feeding, after feeds, and weight loss concerns too and the really wonderful full page on Got Milk? http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html You can do this mama!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?