Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teething and not nursing.

Default Teething and not nursing.

I know there are a million threads on teething but I felt the need to post anyways. I guess I need someone to say that it will be ok.
    My 16month old son had a very high fever yesterday. He nursed a ton yesterday. Today he woke up with no fever and is unable to nurse. I'll be honest, yesterday seemed easier on both of us. He keeps trying to nurse but once he gets his mouth around my nipple, he cries and pulls off. I pumped twice today (kind of thinking now I should have done more) and since he has never taken a bottle, he hasn't drank any. He has knawed on the bottle nipple but appears to be drooling all the milk out. I don't think he has consumed much fluids today at all and it is causing me to worry a bit. I was just now trying to spoon feed him my breastmilk but he seemed to be drooling that out too which confused me. Anyways, I just want someone to tell me that if I keep offering, he will nurse again and that we will both survive this teething episode. The first 6 teeth came in without a thought. Now he appears to be aquiring quite a few more and they are coming in angry. In my mind, I can handle the crying, and even lack of sleep if there is any but the not nursing for a full day just really has me all messed up, both emotionaly (didn't realise how much I love nursing) and mentally for my son's health. Anyways, i just wanted to vent to people who completely understand exactly what I am going through. I keep telling myself "he will nurse again" but I still worry a little that he will be afraid of my boob forever.
    Now I shall try again to get him asleep without any milk in his tummy. Poor babe.
    Married 9/17/2005
    Mother to Seamus born 3/9/2010 7lbs 9oz Still nursing with no end in sight!
    I love , , cloth diapers! with #2! Due 4/5/2012. for a Vbac!

Default Re: Teething and not nursing.

Hand, foot, and mouth disease? That is a common reason for this sort of behavior. Either that or a sore throat or ear infection? I don't think teething alone usually causes a nursing strike, at least not in my experience. But whatever it is, I bet he will nurse at the other end of it. Hang in there, mama!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I mainly assumed it was teething because the fever went away in less than 24 hrs without medicine. I am willing to explore anything as we are starting our second day of this nursing strike and I really want it to end.
    So, on Friday, I noticed around 1pm that my son felt warm. I wasn't able to check his temp till 4pm, and it was at 101.3. At 8pm he got up to 102.1. At this point I gave 1 dose of tylenol. At 1am he was down to 100.1. Then in the morning his fever was gone. He ate well and nursed a ton that day. He was fairly tired but still had times where he got down and played. Saturday we woke up and ds tried to nurse but as soon as the nipple was in his mouth, he pulled off and cried. He asked to nurse all throughout the whole day and at bedtime he even tried a couple of times. I gave him a couple of doses of tylenol during the day. He was willing to eat like normal except he wouldn't suck on his fruit packets. He usually downs these but yesterday he couldn't even finish a small one. Today he woke up and can't nurse still. I finally got a full ounce of breastmilk in him by soaking regular cereal in it. I am making sure he has water but isn't drinking enough and he is on his way to being dehydrated. I am trying to give him full access to a sippy cup of water and a bottle of breastmilk but he mainly chews on them and alot of the liquid is drooled out. Anyways, if this doesn't sound like teeting to anyone else, I would like to know as much as possible about other options.
    I googled hand foot mouth disease and it sounded like the fever shouldn't go away unless he is getting better or at least taking meds regularly. His temp basically went away after only 1 dose of tylenol and I don't see any patches. He also isn't tugging at his ear so I am pretty sure it isn't an ear infection but I could be wrong about this.
    I will say I applaud all the women who go through nursing strikes with younger babies. At least I can feed this guy some solid foods. I didn't realise how much nursing is a part of our relationship. I certainly will not be weaning him myself anytime soon.
    Married 9/17/2005

i had my daughter's WC apointment and in the paper they give you, it says that teething alone does not cause a fever. while popping a tooth can cause totally wacky poopy (last tooth caused pure watery poop that got EVERY WHERE with both blood and mucus ) it sholdnt cause a fever.

as for getting him yummy mummy milk, how about forgoing hte bottle completly even the sippy cup. either use a straw or let him drink straight from the cup? get some soft plastic cups and let him try it that way?
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Hmm... that is odd. I could have sworn other moms had commented that their children would get high fevers when a tooth would pop through. Well, the fever is still gone though so if the fever was caused by something else, could it still impact nursing a day later? Also, I have tried having my son drink from a cup and still much of it dribbles out. I also tried spoon feeding frozen breastmilk and didn't even get him to consume half an ounce. I think he is drinking more water now so I am not quite as concerned. Now I will just keep offering the breast and if he doesn't take it within the next week, I may call our local breastfeeding center.
    Married 9/17/2005

Yay! he started nursing again already! Thanks everyone! I knew he would but in the moment I wrote this, I just needed to have somewhere to state my worries. Thanks everyone!
    Married 9/17/2005

Hey, glad to hear he is back nursing!

I just wanted to say that my son ALWAYS has trouble nursing when a tooth is cutting. That is the first sign for me that he is teething again - he cries and pulls off a lot while nursing. So now when I know he is teething, I give him a dose of baby tylenol about an hour before nursing, and it is just enough to ease his discomfort and he is able to nurse well.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*khall05 View Post
    Hmm... that is odd. I could have sworn other moms had commented that their children would get high fevers when a tooth would pop through. Well, the fever is still gone though so if the fever was caused by something else, could it still impact nursing a day later? Also, I have tried having my son drink from a cup and still much of it dribbles out. I also tried spoon feeding frozen breastmilk and didn't even get him to consume half an ounce. I think he is drinking more water now so I am not quite as concerned. Now I will just keep offering the breast and if he doesn't take it within the next week, I may call our local breastfeeding center.
    Most doctors (including Dr. Sears) say that teething does not cause fevers. However, many moms think that it does. I can only speak from my own experience, and say that when I thought Joe's fevers were related to teething, they always ended up being something else - a cold, an ear infection, something. Days of low temps that respond to meds and a nursing strike sounds a lot like Joe when he had an ear infection, so if it comes back, I'd say get his ears checked. But more likely it was just a little virus.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.