Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I REALLY need to cut out dairy?

Default Do I REALLY need to cut out dairy?

So my LO is almost 6 weeks and we EBF. She's gassy, is on Zantac for reflux, and has some dry skin on her face. She only poops every couple days, but when she does it's huge, soft, brown poops. I know some of those things are characteristic of milk sensitivity, which would obviously mean cutting out dairy. But am I overreacting? Do I really need to jump to that extreme? I LOVE milk and also worry about her getting enough calcium if I cut out dairy.

Thoughts? TIA!

Default Re: Do I REALLY need to cut out dairy?

You don't need to worry about your LO not getting enough calcium if you cut out dairy. A mom will produce milk that is nutritionally complete even if she, the mom, doesn't eat a perfect or even a good diet. That being said, do you need to cut out dairy? The only thing that actually really jumps out at me as being characteristic of an intolerance of some sort is the dry skin... The reflux, the gassiness, and the brown poops could all have alternate explanations. The dry skin could, too, of course- it could just be dry skin! Based on what you have posted, I do not think a dairy elimination is necessary. But I also think that it wouldn't hurt to try it. YKWIM?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If you suspect a dairy intolerance or allergy, then an elimination diet will only help you and your LO get on the right track faster. I resisted the ED for the longest time because I didn't want to give up my lattes and cheese, but I've actually gotten used to making my VIA lattes with rice milk and I don't miss the cheese as much as I thought I would.

Do you notice a difference with or without dairy? To me that would be the deciding factor. Maybe try cutting it out for 30 days and if it doesn't make a difference then you can go back to eating it again? I cut out dairy for the first 6 months with DS2 because it seemed to bother him. I still don't know to this day if it was all in my head or not. He had all of the same symptoms you describe minus the dry skin. When I did add it back in again at 6 months nothing much changed. He still does suffer from reflux and infrequent pooping at 20 months, but we have ruled out dairy allergy or intolerance as an underlying cause of it.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I don't think I'd jump to dairy unless the poop was mucousy and/or flecked with blood.....

Way too lazy for formula