Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 weeks old, just returned to work and having problems.

Default 9 weeks old, just returned to work and having problems.

my baby girl was 9 weeks old on friday. i've been breastfeeding since day one. we had a rocky start and had to use a nipple shield for a little bit but we were able to overcome that and she has been nursing like a champ ever since.

there were MAYBE 3-4 days that she had a couple bottles given to her by family members so my husband and i could spend some time together.

friday was my first day back at work. my husband said she took about 2 and a half bottles of expressed milk during the 8 hours i was gone and had no problems taking them. and when i came home and during the night she didn't have much of a problem coming back to me.

however, today (my day off) she's been a very lazy eater. pulling off the breast a lot and showing little interest in it. she's not really acting like she's hungry but definitely not eating like normal.

i know i only went back to work for 1 day, but do you think it's possible she wouldn't want to come back to the breast after 9 weeks of doing great due to one day with dad?

Default Re: 9 weeks old, just returned to work and having problems.

one day wouldnt create confusion after 9 weeks. i would just keep an eye on her and her diapers. maybe she's just off for some other reason. give her a day or two. let us know.

ok, so she did great that first day, and now she won't really take the bottle. (has now gone back to me just fine) DH says she'll take it right away, drink for a little bit, then freak out. and this goes on and on. i know this is a breast feeding forum, but i do have to work. any tips on how to get her to take the bottle? when it comes to the bottle of expressed breast milk if she continues to not eat the whole bottle can the bottle be heated for a second time and given to her? i'm at my wits end with her not really eating while i'm at work and the waste of milk from just taking a little bit. i'm already freezing it in 2 ounce bags or less, but she'll often only take 1 ounce from it.

any suggestions?? i'm desperate. i have to work, but it's breaking my heart that she won't really eat when i'm not home. she goes to the sitter for the first time wednesday and i just don't know what to do

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I don't have a lot of experience with your particular situation, but I wanted to offer you some hope about not wasting milk. Because of the anti-infective properties of breastmilk, it can remain fresh at room temperature for about 10 hours. If you can pump in the mornings before you go to work, you can leave fresh milk in bottles for your husband or sitter. My LC and pediatrician both told me with my bottle-fed daughter (I EPed) that it was just fine to save the unconsumed milk in the bottle and use it for the next feed. Even when her mommy and daddy became ill that first winter, she never did! (We also did use leftover thawed milk at points, but mostly I tried to give her fresh milk when I could to mimic breastfeeding as much as possible since we didn't have a normal nursing relationship.) I know it's hard to think of wasting that hard-pumped milk, but one great thing about breastmilk is that it sure does keep longer than formula.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

i felt exactly the same way about wasting milk when my lo wouldnt take the bottle.
    If you can save in 1 oz amounts go for it, that way if she takes an oz an wants more its easy to defrost.

The way my son finally took the bottle was at daycare when the laid a shirt of mine on their chest, wrapped him up all snuggly in a blanket and fed him that way, in their arms. I used to wear a tank top to bed and then send it in to dc so each day he had a new one with a strong smell of me.

she is such a confusing little girl! fussed and cried and carried on when dh was trying to feed her today. but later in the evening, not wanting to waste the milk, while dh ran to the store i attempted to give it to her. with a little fussing (but not nearly as much as with dh) she took the last oz from me and almost seemed to be wanting more. as soon as she was done with the bottle i put her back on the breast with no problem. ugh! i hope tomorrow with the sitter goes well!