Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New mom needing advice/help!

Default New mom needing advice/help!

I feel like I really need some advice or something before I give up on breastfeeding (which is something I really don't want to do).

With my first child she was a NICU baby and I pumped for 5 weeks until I dried up and I remember my breasts would get rock hard and I would have a few ounces after each pump even within the first 2 weeks. Well now I have a new baby and she is almost 2 weeks. I have been breast feeding since we were in the hospital but I have to supplement at times with formula. When we were in the hospital she wouldn't latch on so they gave me a nipple shield to use and that seemed to work somewhat (she still wont latch on when I try without the shield). I am really nervous about my milk drying up and maybe cause it is so different then the last time. My breast were rock hard maybe the first 2 days and now they just feel normal. I nurse the baby ever 2 to 3 hours and it seems like within 5 minutes she falls asleep and i have to wake her up but she won't stay awake. Then after 20 minutes of nursing when she let's go and I burp her then set her down she starts rooting around still hungry so I have to pump (with my manual pump) and give that to her and I even bought the bottles that are just like the breast (I cant recall the name of them though). Sometimes I don't have enough milk and she has to get formula and I hate giving her formula. Also today I pumped and got 3 oz total and then later when I pumped I got maybe a half oz total. I really need some advice to make me feel better about breastfeed and to know that it will get easier or something.

Thank you for reading.

Default Re: New mom needing advice/help!

Hi mama and congrats on the baby.

It is normal for your breasts not to feel full. It is also normal for babies to fall asleep while nursing and start rooting quickly after a nursing session... especially during the first few weeks.

How much/how often are you giving formula?

I would recommend just nursing, no pumping, no bottles. even if you just nursed and the baby seems to be rooting, your response should be to simple put her back to the breast.

Find a cozy chair, get a laptop, your phone, snacks, a book, whatever... and plan to stay there nursing her all day.

Make sure the latch is good, use compressions if she seems to fall asleep quickly. These videos may help you: http://beta.breastfeedinginc.ca/cont...agename=videos
    She is establishing your supply and telling your body what she needs. She also needs to have close physical contact with you, she needs to comfort suck.

Simply keep her at your breast (even if it feels like it is non stop ) and count her diapers.

Let us know how it goes.

dear kaila,
    you have come to the right place for breastfeeding managment info. the first few weeks of a baby's life is the time for your baby and your breasts to acclimate to eachother.
    Your baby will benefit from being nursed 10 -12 a day. a pump is not a good indicator of how much milk your body is producing. your baby is the best pump and your baby is the best at increasing your milk supply by nursing.
    even if your baby has had a nice long feed and she still is rooting for more, by all means put her back on the breast. the breast is never empty and your breast will continue to produce milk while the baby sucks.
    there is plenty of more info on this website under the RESOURCES tab.
    good luck and happy nursing
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I also forgot to put that there are times (mainly in the middle of the night where it seems like she wont take my breast and she gets mad if i keep trying). She usually only gets formula MAYBE once a day. N it's very difficult to sit still when I have a 16 month old but I have been trying my best. I just really wished breast feeding was easier. Everything I have been reading will say she will have 6 or 8 soaking wet diapers and she doesnt have that unless I pump and give her bottles. Otherwise they are just barely wet and as far as stools she went a couple days where she didnt have 1 big stool. I just dont want to be hurting her.

Also is there any way I can get her to latch on w.o the nipple shield? I have tried before and she just doesn't like it. She spits the nipple back out and will make a funny face but I have heard its better to not have the shield.

In relation to the diapers... are you nursing her 10-12 times a day when you say you do not get the 6-8? I would suggest using compressions, listen for gulping, watch the latch, etc.

Breastfeeding is not easy for many women, it is a skill that both of you need to learn together.

You are not hurting her, trust your body and let her be with you as often as she needs to be. Nurse 24 hrs with the above suggestions and see how the diapers are.

I don't know about nipple shields but I think based on your posts you would do well to see a IBCLC.

dear momma,
    you sound really motivated and you deserve to get breastfeeding off to a good start. please keep the ball rolling and contact a local La Leche League Leader or an IBCLC lactation consultant.
    There is a world of hands on knowlegde available to help you master the womanly art of breastfeeding. your goal of becoming breastfeeding momma is doable. you just need some face to face support.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair