Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Abnormally Watery Breastmilk

Default Abnormally Watery Breastmilk

Hi All!

I pumped yesterday morning for about 15 minutes to get 3 ounces from my left breast. DS ate on the right one and wasn't interested in the left, so, I pumped and put it in the fridge intending on using it at a restaurant today (I usually use a cover, but we'll be outside and it's windy...so, I'd rather use the bottle of breastmilk under the circumstances).

This morning, I looked at the refrigerated milk and there is barely any of the creamy fat on top. It looks very watery. Usually when I pump 3 ounces in the morning, there is a decent amount of fat.

A few other facts:
    My DS is 5 months old in a week.
    I have OALD.
    I do tend towards oversupply, however that's downregulated fine. (example; I used to pump over 6 oz if I pumped first thing in the morning, so now I pump 3 from one breast).
    DS has been eating during the night a little more often but he just nibbles enough to go back to sleep (we're currently co-sleeping).

Thoughts?

TIA

Default Re: Abnormally Watery Breastmilk

It sounds to me like your pump isn't getting the hindmilk, either because you still have a bit of oversupply and didn't get to it in 15 minutes or maybe you needed another letdown. But it's so hard to judge from pumping, as you know. I stopped responding well from the pump after awhile.

Do you pump every day and today was different or has it been a few weeks and perhaps your volume has increased based on baby's needs?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I think this sounds like totally normal variation and I wouldn't worry about it.

First of all, check out the link in this thread: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...emilk-hindmilk
    It explains really well how foremilk and hindmilk work. There aren't two different types, it's just that the fat content of your milk gradually increases as you empty the breast. So if you had pumped for longer, you would have likely had fattier milk. However, if you tend toward OS you probably don't want to pump too much to make that problem worse. I would work on just making sure your baby's nursing long enough or on softer breasts so she's getting ample fat-if the poops start being green/frothy you might need to try block feeding. But if she's usually got good yellow poops now, I wouldn't worry about foremilk imbalance and I certainlywouldnt worry about mild variations you might observe in your pumped milk.
    My right breast can hold about 8 oz of milk when completely full. If I let it get that full the first 3 oz I pump are very watery. But as I keep pumping, it gets creamier. I bet you can observe the same effect.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

Whoops, I said she when you have a son, sorry about that! Make that "he".
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

Thanks everybody! I don't know why the foremilk/hindmilk didn't occur to me. If he gets distracted from nursing and just sort of "snacks" then he's got the green frothy poops. So, it would make sense if I didn't pump for long enough that I just got a bunch of foremilk!

Thanks ladies!