Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Manual vs. Auto Defrost for Freezer to Store Breast milk

Question Manual vs. Auto Defrost for Freezer to Store Breast milk

I am looking to purchase an upright freezer that will be used for my breast milk. I am looking at the Frigidaire with the alarm built into the door. The only question is...can the self defrost actually hurt the breast milk? Would it be safer to get the manual defrost or does it not matter?
    Thank you

Default Re: Manual vs. Auto Defrost for Freezer to Store Breast milk

Mine is in an auto defrost freezer -- it may even be the same one you are looking at -- and it's been fine. I didn't buy it for breastmilk though, and breastmilk storage is only a small reason to select a freezer. You'll have the freezer long after you have stopped pumping, so buy what you like.

Besides, you should be properly rotating a freezer stash while you are at work and thus the milk won't really be in there that long. If you are EPing, the situation is a bit different.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks Susan! I am in a bit of a different situation. I had a very slow start with my daughter and had to use high calorie formula at the beginning when she dropped to a dangerous weight. She was a good feeder until my doctor's office suggested that she was spitting up so much because she was over-eating and told me to time her feedings. At that point my milk plummeted and so did her weight. Fortunately I have a great lacatation department at my local hospital. I started taking Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle and eventually got to the point where I was exclusively breastfeeding. My daughter is 10 months old now and has started solids in the 7th month but she is still breastfeeding. I am now producing enough that I am freezing quite a bit of milk and therefore want to freeze more. Unfortunately over the past few months I fell into a deep depression. After visiting a counselor I am fine but a lot of things were neglected during this time including the breast milk I had in the freezer since I did not need it. I plan on moving my current breastmilk over to a deep freezer and rotating the supply from now on. I am hoping that none of the milk will be bad but I will take it one bag at a time since I didn't start freezing bulk milk until my daughter was a few months old...the milk in there is not that old. So, the auto defrost won't fluctuate the temp of the breast milk? I was even thinking about buying an additional temp alarm because I am paranoid. So, you like your Frigidaire?

HI Mama! Just wanted to say hello and that I am sorry to hear your suffered with depression. Also, how awful that the drs office did that! It is disturbing. So good to have you here, you are have done a wonderful job

The milk you have will be OK. I had some that had been stored in my freezer for just over a year when I had my fourth baby. He got a couple bag of it while I was waiting for my milk to come in and it was fine. Just check it as you go. And if it's consistently off, I'd wonder about lipase first.

Yes, like my freezer I wish I had room for a second; I wish I could store some food instead of just breastmilk! But I'm giving some to a friend this weekend, and that will help.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!