Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any Ways To Pump In Less Time?

Default Any Ways To Pump In Less Time?

So Saturday will make 2 weeks since I started pumping to build up a stash for DD2. It's taking me an hour to get 2 letdowns.

Any tips on how to speed up the process? I'm using a Medela Symphony and am keeping it on a moderate suction, as it made my nipples a little sore.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks, Jen

Default Re: Any Ways To Pump In Less Time?

Skip the second letdown for now.

Compressions and massage.

Hands free bra so you can do something else while pumping.

Check the size of your horns. Make sure all the valves and membranes and stuff are working right.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Check the size of your horns. Make sure all the valves and membranes and stuff are working right.
    Really? I'm trying to build up my supply when pumping - wouldn't skipping the second letdown hinder that?

I do compressions.

Have a hands free bra.

I'm using the right size horns and my valves and membranes are new.

This amount of time needed for pumping is new to me. It never took this long when I was pumping for DD1, so I just don't understand what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post

Why are you trying to build up your supply? Are you pumping just to have some freezer stash or to go back to work?

Why are you trying to build up your supply? Are you pumping just to have some freezer stash or to go back to work?
    I'm trying to build up a freezer stash for when I do go back to work (6 weeks). I think my problem is that I'm comparing this pumping experience to last time. I don't understand why it's taking me so long to get letdowns, as I'm not doing anything differently.

I EP. 90% or more I never have a second letdown. And I have TONS of milk. It's only been recently I even have a second letdown that 10% of the time.

I have noticed that each baby has had slightly different results. I don't see why pumping wouldn't be different.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I EP. 90% or more I never have a second letdown. And I have TONS of milk. It's only been recently I even have a second letdown that 10% of the time.

I have noticed that each baby has had slightly different results. I don't see why pumping wouldn't be different.
    This is only my second baby, so I guess I didn't know what to expect. I didn't realize it could take me double the time to pump the same amount of milk this time. Bummer.

I was getting very little when I started preparing to go back to work. Just chose a time to do it for 15 min, I did it right after my lo ate for his first nursing of the day. If you do it everyday it will add up.

Also, I was freaking out my first week back to work and Susan told me to give it some time, I needed to get used to pumping. She was absolutely right.

My schedule changed at work recently and I noticed my body needed a few days to really get used to the new pumping times. It did adjust. You will be fine.

I dont always get a second let down, most often I do not. I find that if I work for a few minutes in the beginning with compressions and massage, I can relax a bit more after that and just massage/compress periodically. I then hand express at the end for 2-3 min.

Keep in mind that you are pumping in addition to nursing right now.