Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What's wrong with my baby?

Default What's wrong with my baby?

I had my dd on May 9, so she is now 7 weeks. BF went great the first week and a half, but a few days after we came home from the hospital everything changed. She quit latching on as a good, her tongue felt like sandpaper on my nipple, she was constantly hungry, yet when I would put her on she wouldn't eat, she would just comfort suck. She was gaining enough weight and had plenty of wet diapers, but still she wouldn't eat and yet was always hungry. She wouldn't sleep either, which made me crazy! I quit bf when she was 3 weeks because I couldn't handle the stress, however I really regret it. I thought at first she was going through a growth spurt, but after a few days it didn't let up. What was wrong with her?

Default Re: What's wrong with my baby?

Can you clarify what you mean by she wasn't eating? and was always hungry? What behaviours led you to think these things?

Because if she was gaining and having enough wets, then she was getting enough into her. So there could have been other causes for those behaviours.

Sandpaper nipple feeling could have been thrush. Did you get both of you checked for that? It can be incomfortable for both mom and baby and that can sometimes cause baby's latch to change as a result.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

It very well could have been thrush bc about 2 weeks later it showed up in her mouth. When I say she wasn't eating I mean she might drink good for a couple minutes then stop swallowing and stop doing the powerful sucks she was doing and she would change her latch (if it wasn't already bad) and she would suck just my nipple and not the areola. If I would pull her off and try to put her to sleep she would cry, suck her fists, and root. I would latch her on again and she would do the same as before.

Dear emma's momma,
    you know, i can hear the sadness in your voice and I think you need to know that any amount of breastfeeding has long lasting positive health benefits for your baby. If you do want to breastfeed this baby, or relactate , you can do it. there is information on relactation on this website under the Resource tab. and you can get support from a La Leche League Leader.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I think that probably the thrush was the problem. Thrush is not only just painful for momma- it can be painful for your LO too. this could definitly lead to a change in latch. As for not eating- she may have been able to get what she needed during those couple of minutes of powerful sucking especially if you had a strong letdown but babies have a real need to suck. Breastfeeding isn't all about just meeting the nutritional needs- there is a comfort need to it to. I think that you already posted earlier about relactating so keep us posted and let us know if you need help.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )