Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Losing supply due to jaundice phobia

Default Re: Losing supply due to jaundice phobia

I don't have an answer for you, but am curious about emptying the breast--what do you mean by that? Because they're never really empty, they just have less and need time to make up more.

You're not dumb!

Pumping drove me absolutely up the wall until I upgraded to a double electric pump (Medela Freestyle, NAYY). I had been using a Phillips Avent single electric but it took forev'. The hands-free component and double pump made it worth the money. I pumped while putting on make-up in the morning, and even very carefully while putting lunch together. It infinitely helped that DD was over 6mos and that meant she didn't need strict attention to detail on sanitation, since she was eating solids that were cooked but weren't germ-free on clean but non-sterile plates etc. I could afford to rinse the pump parts with water after pumping and not have to sanitize every time. I boiled the parts once every evening before going to bed and let them air-dry, then kept the milk chilled between sessions in the Freestyle's portable thermal pack. It was refrigerated and drunk the next day so we didn't need to be extremely careful to make milk suited for longer-term freezer storage or something.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Dear Mommies,

I have made it thru 3mths..yay!!!

I have to say thank you for all d encouragement n advice given to help me pull thru.

I bought a double pump a mth n a half ago. Pumping w it did increased my supply n i managed to have some freezer stash for emergencies.

Only thing now is that DD is starting to refuse drinking from the bottle which she used to gobble down 3oz without fussing.

Is that normal? It is difficult when sometimes i just finished pumping n she wakes up 30min or an hr later hungry n my breast seems still empty.

jamie

Refusing the bottle is not unusual at this age--to me it is a sign that nursing is going well. Realize too that your breasts never really are empty; they will continue to produce, especially when you nurse.

Is there any reason that you need to keep pumping? If your LO is getting enough (plenty of wet and poopy diapers) you usually don't need to pump unless you are working. I pumped to get a small stash in the freezer and now only pump when I am at work just when I would have normally been feeding my LO.

It sounds like the two of you are doing great!
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scienceteachermommy View Post
    Refusing the bottle is not unusual at this age--to me it is a sign that nursing is going well. Realize too that your breasts never really are empty; they will continue to produce, especially when you nurse.

Is there any reason that you need to keep pumping? If your LO is getting enough (plenty of wet and poopy diapers) you usually don't need to pump unless you are working. I pumped to get a small stash in the freezer and now only pump when I am at work just when I would have normally been feeding my LO.

It sounds like the two of you are doing great!

Hi, i pump to maintain my supply or when DD cannot finish both breast.

Sometimes DD would not wake to feed during 3-5am. That's when i would get up to pump. Also depending on her last nursing sessions, i do not want to go longer than 5hrs not pumping the milk out.
    Did miss a couple of these nite pumping n my supply will always on the down side.

She definitely have 2-4 poop a day. As for wets, can't tell coz were on disposable diapers. But she did have a heavy diaper in the morning(approx. 8hrs)

During d day, when she is on nappy, i would have to change her 2-4x (3-4hrs duration)

I do need to do my grocery shopping once a wk at least. Therefore having some milk for Daddy to feed her is a must.

I also noticed having a small white spot on my nipple.??? is this a bad sign?

Dear All Wonderful mommies,

just to update..

DD just had her 4mths routine check up n jab.

Paed said she is fine n putting on weight n longer. Her weight now is 15lbs.

Her tummy got some wind but paed said it's not colicky so just ignore it. She will just pass more gas, that's it.
    Is it true i can just ignore it???

she is just gassy, thats ok my lo used to be very gassy, nursing helped him pass it. if the baby seems ok dont worry about the gas. we also do bicycles with his legs sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    she is just gassy, thats ok my lo used to be very gassy, nursing helped him pass it. if the baby seems ok dont worry about the gas. we also do bicycles with his legs sometimes.
    Thanks. Will try doing that.

DD have been nursing non stop for the past 2days. Today, she is practically nursing every hour. Its so tiring....but enjoyed it