Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing supply due to jaundice phobia

Angry Losing supply due to jaundice phobia

Hi everyone, i do need lots of advice of what to do nx..

my story..

DD had jaundice when she was a wk old. admitted to d hospital for 4 days.
    Was still nursing alrite but take an hr or so to completely drain 1 breast.

Came home n pumped on 1 breast while she nurse on d other. (was able to get 2oz n gradually increased 3-4oz every 2-3hrs)

Feared that her jaundice might worsen n her nursing too long, My mom suggested that we shud supplement her EBM. Which i thot shud b ok. Big mistake.
    Mom would just give her EBM when i'm asleep n also stuffed her with 3oz n 2oz within an hr. that affected my pumping rhythm.dragging to 4hrs then 5hrs.

Coming to wk 4, i noticed DD prefers btls n lazy to suck on my boobs. just always waiting for let down reflex n that drags our nursing sessions even longer. sometimes to about 2hrs with halfway thru falling asleep n poop.

DD checkup at 4wks, told d paed about my situation n suggest that i shud just let her latch on w/o pumping.Reason being, no stimulation, no milk. Which i did. She was always hanging on my boobies from day till nit non stop. But my supply is affected due to DD still take hrs to nurse on 1 boobie.

Now at 5wks, i no longer feel my boobs being full n pumping only get 1-2oz now.

Today, DD totally rejected my boobs. Cried every time i tried to latch her on. It went on for about 1/2 hr n i broke down too...Hubby rushed home to help out n finally gave her a btl.

I do wish i can continue to nurse till 1yr at least. Pls, i nd all d suggestions that can help me pull this thru.

Default Re: Losing supply due to jaundice phobia

I am sorry that you are having difficulties. I wish I had advice to offer you but all I can offer is
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

my suggestion is to get back in bed with this baby. nurse her from both sides and count her wet and dirty diapers. 6-8 wet ones 4 or more soiled ones. as long as she is gaining weight you can be certain your milk supply is good. You can hand express to initiate a let down if that will make your baby happy.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*esthervegan View Post
    my suggestion is to get back in bed with this baby. nurse her from both sides and count her wet and dirty diapers. 6-8 wet ones 4 or more soiled ones. as long as she is gaining weight you can be certain your milk supply is good. You can hand express to initiate a let down if that will make your baby happy.

hi esthervegan,

Thanks for getting back to me..
    Tried getting in bed oredi for 4days. she basically just cling on 2 me 24hrs. i'm lucky she take a 10mins nap w/o waking up during d day.
    she is definitely having 6wets n sometimes 3-4 soiled ones. but d amount is quite little compared to when my mom gav her btls.(6-8 soiled ones)
    on d hand expression, i dont quite understand??? how do u do it?

please look up the information on the RESOURCES tab on the top of this website. You can find info on hand expression, , maintaining a milk supply etc.... it sounds like the two of you are a well established nursing pair. Infants do like to cling to their mommas, that's part of the grand design of nature!
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I'm sorry that you're having difficulties. Keeping your baby at the breast is your best way to boost supply. Even if she is on one breast for an hour, as long as she's sucking, that's stimulating supply. If she pops off, though, or stops sucking, you would probably benefit from switching her to the other side.

If you pump after every feeding that will also give you additional stimulation. Offer her the breast frequently. If she's not so hungry, she might be more willing to latch on.

If you do need to supplement, expressed breast milk is definitely the first choice, and it is better not to give her too much at one time or even to use a bottle. There is a great deal of information on www.drjacknewman.com about how to use a lactation aid (I used a commercial one called the Medela SNS) both at my breast and to finger feed my little one.

Have you seen a Lactation consultant to verify that your little one is transferring milk effectively? (Most babies will take a bottle, even if they don't need to eat, so you can't use that to judge if she's hungry). Some babies take a long time to nurse, and it's just their personality. If you really think something is wrong with the her time at the breast (rather than just thinking it's long), hands-on help is the best way to go.

The best way for a baby to breastfeed successfully is to practice breastfeeding, and that's the best way for you to keep your supply up. It doesn't matter if she spends a long time on one side as long as she's sucking effectively. (Check out Dr. Newman's videos of what it looks like when a baby is swallowing well.)

I hope this helps.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

hi mama!

Just wanted to say i agree with pp that it is natural for the baby to be attached to you all the time. You are the source of food, comfort, safety,everything.

I would not pump and just nurse nurse nurse. If she has been on a breast for 20 min or so, put her to the other breast. If she needs just to switch back and forth for hours thats ok. Set yourself up with snacks, a computer, tv, books, whatever you like and just nurse her all day.

6-8 wets and 3-4 soiled diapers is good!!!

it will get better, just trust your body mama!

and by the way, YOU are the mom now. if your mom is helping great, but no need for her to give bottles. She can bring you food

dear duaeguttae, mtmama, Klisti n esthervegan,

thank you all for giving me this encouragement. definitely will try my best to hang in there. my mom went back to her own place which take about 4hrs drive. doubt she will b coming ard anytime soon.

i'm trying back to nurse on one side n pump on d other whenever i can. hopefully this can bring back my supply. as d more u empty ur breast, d milk produce again.

as for where i lived, we do not have any LC to consult. Unless me taking 4hrs drive to another state, that is Kuala Lumpur. There, they have 2 LC's. But hubby is against d idea as DD is still very small.

i do envy u mommas that LC is available whenever help is needed.

jl

could you call them on the phone? sometimes a little phone help is beter then no help.
    5 weeks is still very young. you can coah her back to the breast it just takes some time and keep trying.
    this might be helpful:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/mi...on.html#supply

http://www.massbfc.org/parents/makeMilk3.pdf

hi, called the LC ytd. She suggested that i use a syringe when DD is at the breast. trick her to think that milk is actually flowing out in order for her not to fuss. tried it, OMG!!! she screamed like i'm giving her poison. not working at all.(am i dumb or bb's these day r so smart)

btw, how do u mommies out there able to find time to pump after feed? especially during nit. i have very slow let down reflex, therefore sometimes it will take about 40mins to empty my breast. Any good suggestions?

jl