Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timing weaning with big move, need some help from experienced Mommas!

Default Re: Timing weaning with big move, need some help from experienced Mommas!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post
    Good for you for nursing so long! I think if I were in your position I would consider nursing a little longer, mainly because with such a big move/upheaval nursing may be one thing that gets you both through. Then getting settled in a new place, new routine, etc, may be much easier with the familiar comfort of nursing. If you know you want to be done before you move, I would encourage you to time it (as much as possible) so that she's weaned well before the move, so that she isn't having to deal with both huge events at one time. Good luck!
    You may want to wait until after the move. Weaning is a process that can take time. If you start at 12 months you may find it difficult to fully wean by 15 months, let alone be done well before the move. When I weaned DS it took a little over 5 months, since he initially refused other kinds of milk and didn't like cups much.

Default Re: Timing weaning with big move, need some help from experienced Mommas!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Yes! Toddler nursing can be so different from nursing a younger baby. You can feed solids instead of nursing, you can wean from certain feeds and retain others, you can teach your baby nursing manners... It's all the good elements of breastfeeding, with many fewer of the difficult ones.
    I never imagined I would nurse past one ... but it really is easier. I felt like I finally got to ENJOY nursing, without some of the parts that were hard for me (being tied down, like you say, and having to pump at work or when I missed a feeding). Extended nursing is not for everyone, so you should do what feels right to you. Just weighing in with my experience,

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kitkat77 View Post
    I have been aiming for the 12 month mark because I feel very tied down by nursing. My daughter will not take a bottle so I literally cannot be away from her ever for longer than 3 hours. It may sound selfish, but I want to be able to dress the way I want and not feel so frumpy anymore in my nursing clothes. I also want my hormones to get back to normal because I have no sex drive at all and I would really like to have my marriage back. We went through two years of fertility treatments, pregnancy, and now nursing, so we have not had a healthy bedroom life in close to 4 years. I have no intention of cutting her off cold turkey on her first birthday or anything, but I have needed to have an end point in mind in order to keep going. For the first 6 months I would say I hated nursing about 95% of the time and loved it 5%. Once she hit 6 months I started hating it less, but I still really do not like it part of the time. I guess those are my reasons for aiming for 12 months.

All of that being said, I take no issue with people nursing for longer or anything. Just not something I wanted to do for personal reasons. I will consider not completely weaning until we are settled at our new location, but I am really going to have to do some soul searching on that one.
    It sounds like you've carefully thought this out. Read the article I included in my previous post. It outlines how to gently wean. You may not actually wean at 12 months, but it can help guide you towards the timing that works for you both.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Thanks for the article. I did read it and a pretty slow weaning was what I was hoping for. So maybe we can start at 12 months and be done by 17 or 18 months, that seems much more doable to me. It would also give me the convenience of nursing while our lives are in turmoil this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kitkat77 View Post
    Thanks for the article. I did read it and a pretty slow weaning was what I was hoping for. So maybe we can start at 12 months and be done by 17 or 18 months, that seems much more doable to me. It would also give me the convenience of nursing while our lives are in turmoil this winter.
    Sounds like a solid plan.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

K- I am with some of these other moms, bfing while traveling is SO much easier than trying to plan, pack and feed baby food on the go. And it is such a useful back-up if they won't eat or there are no spoons, or you get off schedule. I still like it for that reason even though I am weaning my 18-mo-old twins. And once they get older and are eating more food, nursing isn't their only life-line. You can try to give them mostly food/bottles and cut down on the frequency of nursing. This gives you and break and makes nursing less of a demand and more optional so that can help with some of the negative feelings about nursing. I was feeding two babies 10 times a day, each,--I hated it sometimes too!

We did some traveling when the girls were 11 mos. and nightweaned as soon as we got home. Combining all the changes seemed to work for us. I find if you are loving, gentle and consistent, they will adapt and be OK even if you can't give them the ideal situation.

I agree that traveling with a nursing toddler is way easier. My son did great on a recent weeklong trip.. he nursed to sleep every night in the strange hotel room, and nursed on the plane mid flight and calmed right down (mid-meltdown I might add.. had thrown the sippy cup at Dad lol) and I think all the passengers and flight attendants were thankful for my son's breastfeeding!
    And it's true.. I brought our own food along for him to eat (healthy stuff) but he ended up not wanting any of that and ate junk that Dad fed him (grr) and the breastmilk he was getting made me feel a lot better about his diet that week lol.
    I would hate to travel with cows milk/try to buy it on the road... just sounds like a pain

I think your plan to wean slowly and stretch it to like 17 monthsish sounds great!
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09