Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Re-lactation...how do I accomplish this?

Default Re-lactation...how do I accomplish this?

My LO was born Feb. 1st. He was jaundiced and so in the hospital we had to start
    supplimenting right away with formula. He was a horrible latcher, he would scream and fight, etc...

My milk never came in and by 7 weeks old, he was strictly on formula. I was never getting more than about 1-2 oz at a time, even with pumping. I would nurse and them pump, and it still didnt help. I also took Fenugreek as well..

I would really like to try re-lactation, but I dont know how to go about this or if it would even work. I have a pump (he will not latch to the breast anymore)...and he is not patient enough to try.

Default Re: Re-lactation...how do I accomplish this?

You can relatate- it is hard work but it can be done. The first thing that you should start doing is to start pumping as often as possible- shoot for every 2 to 3 hours to begin with. This link has some more info.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

with rcsmom's. That link she gave you is excellent. The more you can pump, the better. And use a good pump! I suggest using a hospital grade rental pump with correctly sized shields. Cheap manual or electric pumps won't get you anywhere.

This link may help you get your baby back to the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am so sorry to hear about your experience dear Although under different circumstances, it is not a very different story at all how I lost my milk supply in the early days. I also relactated from scratch and it was originally very difficult. If you look in my signature there is a story with how I managed it all and the thread below it has some tips with relactation and increasing your supply; I hope you find the time to read it as I think it could really help you considering your situation. My main tips for you though are as follows:

-Use a good double electric pump (such as Medela Pump In Style or I have also heard brands Ardo & Lansinoh ect get great reviews) - pump as thoroughly and as often as you can. You need to remove milk from the breasts 8-12 times a day to be optimally effective-including waking up at least once during the night to pump or nurse.
    -Find a short, easy routine to help yourself relax each time before pumping-this will help your brain associate these things with a let-down reflex in addition to helping you relax, so you will be more able to effectively pump. You might try setting out a piece of candy/chocolate for each time you pump (like Hersheys kisses or something?) or have a cup of tea, do a minute of meditation...whatever helps you!
    -Think about feeding your baby and remember that this is EXACTLY what you are doing! A large part of why many women have little success with pumping is because they see that they are 'milking' into something plastic and not directly into their babies, which makes things harder-but remember that you are still going to take that milk and feed it to your baby-let it flow from you, you are a source of life, and envision your breasts as such. Believe me, it will make every difference in the world.

Good luck!!
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply