Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does My One Month Old Need a Vitamin D Replacement While I'm Breastfeeding Only

Default Does My One Month Old Need a Vitamin D Replacement While I'm Breastfeeding Only

IM CONCERN ABOUT VIT. D deficiency , SO I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ITS NECESSARY TO REPLACE IT WHILE BREASTFEEDING ONLY, PLEASE LET ME KNOW, IM NOT DRINKING ANY MILK AS IT MAKE ME SICK , SO I AM IN RISK, BUT I GET MY PRENATALS EVERYDAY. AND I GET EXTRA CALCIUM. THANKS.

Default Re: DOES MY ONE MONTH OLD NEED A VITAMIN D REPLACEMENT WHILE IM BRESTFEEDING ONLY, HE

Not usually. this link has more info.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...vitamin-d.html
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Default Re: DOES MY ONE MONTH OLD NEED A VITAMIN D REPLACEMENT WHILE IM BRESTFEEDING ONLY, HE

The following is LLL's statement on Vitamin D:

La Leche League International encourages all mothers to recognize the importance of vitamin D to the health of their children. Recent research shows that due to current lifestyles, breastfeeding mothers may not have enough vitamin D in their own bodies to pass to their infants through breastmilk.

In October 2008, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommended that infants receive 400 IU a day of vitamin D, beginning in the first few days of life. Children who do not receive enough vitamin D are at risk for rickets and increased risk for infections, autoimmune diseases, cancer, diabetes, and osteoporosis.

Vitamin D is mainly acquired through exposure to sunlight and secondarily through food. Research shows that the adoption of indoor lifestyles and the use of sunscreen have seriously depleted vitamin D in most women. The ability to acquire adequate amounts of vitamin D through sunlight depends on skin color and geographic location.

Dark-skinned people can require up to six times the amount of sunlight as light-skinned people. People living near the equator can obtain vitamin D for 12 months of the year while those living in northern and southern climates may only absorb vitamin D for six or fewer months of the year.

For many years, La Leche League International has offered the research-based recommendation that exclusively breastfed babies received all the vitamin D necessary through mother’s milk. Health care professionals now have a better understanding of the function of vitamin D and the amounts required, and the newest research shows this is only true when mothers themselves have enough vitamin D. Statistics indicate that a large percentage of women do not have adequate amounts of vitamin D in their bodies.

La Leche League International acknowledges that breastfeeding mothers who have adequate amounts of vitamin D in their bodies can successfully provide enough vitamin D to their children through breastmilk. It is recommended that pregnant and nursing mothers obtain adequate vitamin D or supplement as necessary. Health care providers may recommend that women who are unsure of their vitamin D status undergo a simple blood test before choosing not to supplement.

Parents or health care providers who want more information on rickets, vitamin D in human milk, or other information on breastfeeding issues visit: La Leche League International
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

My pediatrician recommended it. In the past, you used to have to administer full eyedroppers to your LOs, but they've come out with D-Drops which is just one drop that you put onto your nipple before baby nurses. The cost is $15-$18 per bottle (has 90 drops/bottle).

I think it's usually recommended that vit D be given to babies starting at two months of age. That's what I personally did with my own. As far as I know a breastfeeding baby can get vit D from BM but NOT when mom is deficient of vit D. So with a 1 month-old I would not start giving baby the supplement BUT I would make sure I myself get enough of it, if not through sunshine exposure then through supplement. Getting enough vit D is important for yourself anyway, nursing or not.

Oh and since you mentioned drinking milk... I just wanted to point out that the vit D added to milk is usually vit D2, while the one that is good for you is actually vit D3. So drinking milk fortified with vit D2 isn't of much help.

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

If you are really concerned about your Vit D levels I'd get them checked. Only because I figured I was deficient and was supplementing and my levels were too high.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

We breastfeeding mothers find our selves at the mercy of whatever the well funded pharmecutical company convinces our doctors is missing from breastmilk. Human beings would not have survived as a species if breastmilk was lacking anything! 30 years ago breastmilk was thought to have insufficient amounts of iron, we now know that was not the truth. The researchers were looking for the iron molecule in the wrong part of the breastmilk composition.
    But vit. D is absorbed thru the skin and we spend all our time in doors. My mother-in-law taught me to put my infants outside for a half hour everyday regardless of the temperature. I guess she knew something of ancient maternal wisdom.
    I personally did not give my last baby, (when all this hullaballo started to peculate) vitamins of any kind. I ate well and exposed her to the outdoors everyday. But we are fair skinned and milk drinkers,( I became a vegan after my daughter weaned) so I can only speak for myself.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I just noticed that the vitamin d drops my pediatrician recommended are made by enfamil.
    .....hmmmm....interesting.
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

I encourage moms to get themselves tested for Vit D levels and then adjust their diet and/or supplements for themselves or baby as needed. I was tested as part of routine screening while pg and was shocked to find out I was Vit D deficient. And I do live in a sunny place and get outside.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Our pediatrician instructed me to take 400 IU of Vitamin D per day, as she says most American women are vitamin D deficient. From other reading I've done, and also based on the advice of a second pediatrician, I think this is a good move.