Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Recurring Plugged Ducts from Pumping

Default Recurring Plugged Ducts from Pumping

I have been back to work for 3 months now and been exclusively breastfeeding my daughter and pumping while at work. The past month I have been getting blocked duct(s) in my right breast and it seems to be getting worse. When my daughter nurses in the evening she always "unblocks" the duct and the weekends are always no problem since I am not pumping. It used to be that the blocked duct would occur later in the week (Thursday) but now it happens immediately (Mondays) and it is starting to become more uncomfortable. I am beginning to get these stabbing pains and it is most certainly affecting my supply on that side. I do not have a fever so I do no think it is an infection. I have tried different size breast shields, taking lechitin supplements and I drink plenty of water but nothing seems to be helping. I would really like to be able to continue nursing my daughter for much longer but this is becoming more troublesome.

Any advice or thoughts on how to address this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Recurring Plugged Ducts from Pumping

What kind of pump do you have? Do you pump both breasts at the same time? How much do you get, and if you know, how much from the affected breast versus the other? Do you do breast compressions while pumping?

What is your pumping schedule @ work?

And if I read your post correctly, you say that each evening when you get home the plug goes away w/ nursing?

Here is a link on sizing your breast shields: http://lactinv.com/breastfeeding_qna..._breastshields
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I am using the Medela pump In Style. Yes pump both breasts at the same time every 3 hours while at work for 15 minutes.

Yes typically the plugged duct goes away in the evening but a bit of the discomfort still lingers.

I pump about 3 oz in the left and 1.5 on the right. More in the morning.

Oh and yes doing breast compressions

If possible you might try applying heat to that side before you pump, maybe a warm washcloth would be more convieniat at work. I have not ever had that issue myself, but my sister said it helped her.

Definitely REALLY massage and compress that right breast while pumping. And make sure your flanges are the right size and your pump parts are all installed correctly (and firmly!). Sometimes when you see a loss of suction (which can show up as clogged ducts and lower production), the problem is that your pump is not installed properly and there is a leak somewhere, or that the membranes on the pump need replacing. Keep trouble shooting your pump, I think that's the source of your problem. But also massage that breast really well while pumping (and this sounds weird, but shake your breasts now and then) to get the milk flowing better.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks ladies for the advice. I switched out the valves and membranes this morning as well as some of the other pieces so we will see how it goes. Luckily today is a day I go over to my daughter's daycare at lunch to nurse and we have a long weekend coming up!

Check the fit of the bra. It's possible it doesn't fit quite right and compresses the same ducts over and over. It's not a problem when you nurse because a baby is so much better than any pump at getting milk out, which could be why you don't have a problem on the weekends, just when you have to rely on the pump.

Massage. Don't sit and wait on the pump's suction.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!