Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: so nervious to start

Default so nervious to start

im willing to start bls... im nervous cuz it means she will eventually no longer need me
    Luna's only 5 months mind you but still. ive seen plent of cues that she's ready for solids, she grabs at every thing i drink (i never share my soda, but i HAVE shared some juice and a little bit of slushie lol) and we went to walmart and she was getting hot, and since its not really great to stop in the middle of the sidewalk, plot down on the dirt to breastfeed, i gave her a little bit of gaterade to help, and she did well drinking it out of the cap..

she also grabs at every thing im eating, whether its chicken nuggets (i have a feeling she's gonna love bbq in the future ) or pizza, she's like GIMME SOME OF THAT!!!

so with my wic check i bought a whole bunch (LOL) of bananas.

how do i really start tho? just give her small morsels at a time? or put them infront of her?

also, do i do it before or after nursing? it seems to me that so she understands that mommy is #1 for food i should nurse first and then try food
    Last edited by @llli*sailoryue; June 29th, 2011 at 01:43 PM.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Default Re: so nervious to start

Until a year, nurse first and offer solids after. You want the solids to be for fun, and for experimenting with new tastes and textures, and you want to limit the amount of breastmilk they replace in your LO's diet. Start slow- a teaspoon or two of solids per days is really all that's necessary for your LO to get experience with solids.

You might want to search this forum for threads on baby-led solids. Basically, instead of spoon-feeding you just put little bits of healthy solids on your baby's tray and let her maneuver them into her own mouth. If she eats some, great! If she tastes some and then spits it back out, great- at least she tried. And if she doesn't put anything in her mouth and prefers to squish the solids with her hands, fine- she still learned something.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

lol, sounds good. i got her to have a dollop of banana. i tried a second and she gagged, but smiled and was like "that was wierd but tasty' lol

sholda gotten others, but things like apples are more high maintenence to give. didnt know avacado was a softy fruit. i got some carrots tho ill try softening them later

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Remember only ONE new food every 3 or so days to watch for reactions.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

yeah, i know. she had thrusting with bananas, but when i let her suck on my carrot (it was raw so she technically didnt eat it) she seemed really intersted, so ill make up some carrots later for her.

It's helpful in the beginning to offer foods in a shape that it is easy for your baby to grasp on her own. Think a steak fry, rather than a "dollop," as you said. She should be able to hold it in her fist and have some sticking out the end to get to her mouth.

BTW, my LO was not interested in banana in the beginning, and still isn't crazy about it at 9.5 months. If you do offer it, try making banana stick. Cut the banana in half and then gently press the cut end. You'll see it start to break into three sections that are perfectly sized for a baby fist. This is much easier to grab than a disk-shaped cut (and also gives you an idea of the size you should be going for with other foods.)

I was so intimidated the first couple months, but now I can just give her basically whatever we are eating, with a few modifications. I LOVE IT! You'll get there.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

I know exactly how you feel. It's been very hard for me (full time working mum, with a SaH Dad) when I realised after her first spoon that we had started down the road where she wouldn't need me anymore.
    But she loves her solids now. (Apart from fruit and anything too sweet, odd...) And she uses night time nursing and breastfeeding in the evenings to reconnect with me after a day at work.

I am still intimidated to continue (now starting with meat) now, but small steps will do... I hope it all goes well for you and your little one.

I think that this just needs a lot of patience and working together.
    We only had one moment in all the stretches of eternity,
    one place to make our own,
    one word to speak, cherish and hold,
    one second to lose ourselves completely,
    within us, each other and the world.

This is love.