Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increasing My Milk Supply

Smile Increasing My Milk Supply

I have been breastfeeding my LO since he was born (4 months) and now I am starting to notice my milk supply dwindling down. I didn't start him on a breastmilk bottle until about 2 weeks before I was supposed to go back to work and then two weeks later I was laid off and went back to primarily breastfeeding all day, every day (while at work he was bottle-fed breastmilk and breastfed when I was home). A few weeks later I started giving him a bottle at bedtime with a little rice in it (I know, I know...it poses a choking hazard, but my doctor didn't see any harm in adding a tsp or two to a 6 oz bottle)...then about two weeks later I started him with one for breakfast and one at bedtime. At that time, I noticed my milk supply dwindling down, so I stopped the morning bottle and continued with just the evening bottle. Obviously this measure deeply cut into my frozen stockpile of breastmilk.

I finally stopped with both bottles all together about 2 1/2 weeks ago and went back to fully breastfeeding, with 1-2 times a week giving my LO a few tsps of bananas after a full nursing session (my doctor advised he was ready for solids). Knowing this too would dwindle my milk supply I did not want to do this 3 times daily as he suggested. To date, my milk supply still hasn't gotten back up to where it was prior, even with a all day, every day breastfeeding schedule (my LO also eats 2-3 times at night, now that I'm not giving him the rice bottle in the evenings). In addition, I have used the last of my last frozen milk today, so I have nothing stored in case of emergencies or if I just want to get out alone for a few hours. I try to pump after my LO eats, however, he's starting to eat from both breasts at each feeding and still getting fussy when the flow isn't very quick or he's not gotten enough with just one breast. I've tried the mother's milk tea and that has helped a little, but I'm still only getting 2-3 oz per pumping session (at that rate, he would need to have 2-3 bags of milk to get his fill if he were to have a bottle).

Does anyone have any other suggestions of what I can do to get my supply back up and going full speed again and at the same time start my stockpile of frozen milk all over? I'm exhausted and can't seem to get myself up before my LO in the mornings to pump then, so I'm trying to fit it in after he eats or in between feedings. HELP!

Default Re: Increasing My Milk Supply

The two things I have noticed for me that zap my supply faster than anything are dehydration and fatigue. It sounds like you are pretty tired, try taking naps with your LO whenever you can. You might also try drinking lots of water and cutting out any caffine (if you are drinking any as this will dehydrate you too).

Thanks for your help...I know that is one thing I really need...REST!
    God's greatest gift is the gift of children...

Wife of Terry Lee, mother to Carl Nathanuel, step-mom to Jordan Terry

what size bottles are you giving your LO?! BF babies should never really need more than 4-5 ounces EVER - the amount they need does not go up over time, it stays the same and the content of your milk adjusts with their needs. I would think at four months the most you should be feeding is 4 ounces. I know -- your baby will eat much more than that with a bottle because it's easy and they have to keep sucking or they'll choke. But they don't NEED it. So start with that and see if that maybe your baby is just telling you to make the amount that he needs, and that's why your supply is lower, this would make sense seeing as you're only bfing now rather than giving the bottles.

If you really think it's a problem, oatmeal and fenugreek can be helpful too. Also, has your period returned? That can cause a temporary dip in supply.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

That's good to know in regards to how much he should be having. I keep listening to my mom that he should be eating more ounce wise, but I keep reminding her we were formula fed, not BF and it's all different. That makes me feel a little better too in regards to how much milk I'm pumping...i kept thinking that 3-4 oz bottles were not enough, so I'm glad to know I can go with less per milk bag.

I do have some spotting for a couple days every few weeks, but its not like a normal period perse. I bled from my Lochia up until 12 weeks postpartum and although I'm on a low hormone pill my spotting isn't really following a normal period cycle.
    God's greatest gift is the gift of children...

Wife of Terry Lee, mother to Carl Nathanuel, step-mom to Jordan Terry

If you recently went on BC be advised that some women do notice a decrease in supply from being on any form of hormonal BC- even low dose pills. I know that docs will tell that it won't effect supply but it can. Docs don't know it all.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )