Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ready to quit! Too much Stress!

Unhappy Ready to quit! Too much Stress!

I have been BF for 6 weeks now. Things were fine for the first 3 weeks, but have been progressivly getting worse. It is really suppose to be this stressful and such a guessing game?????
    I was told my princess has thrush. Then I had doubts because of all the pictures I had seen on websites of what it looked like. This morning I went to the local hospital (because the LLL leader in my area told me to go to the hospital after trying to talk to her about all of my issues - Can I say I was VERY DISAPPOINTED with my expierience with the leader!!!!!)
    They told me that even though it was not the white bumps, that the coating on the back of her tounge was thrush becuase it did not go away after an hour of feeding. My hospital does not have a lactation consultant, so I had a whole bunch of nurses playing the guessing game with me.
    The Nystatin upsets her stomach really bad when I try and clean her mouth out with it. I am a organic/natural lifestyle person so I would love some help on natural ways to help Taylor get rid of this problem!
    I have purchased Diaper Rash Relief (Thrush Relief) from Motherlove to use on my nipples which just this morning started tinggling and a bit of a sting.
    I regularly take probiotics and eat organic yogurt. So perhaps I should increase my dose??????
    I have so many other issues - I could write forvever, but for now, will just post this issue. I think I am going to just make the switch to Organic baby formula. I am so stressed out by all of this and not having a person to help me or come to my home to help evaluate how I am doing feeding time..... well, I do not like feeling so helpless and alone in this and I am sure the stress has got to be making it worse on the whole situation!
    I will do my best to hang in there for an additional week, but am not sure how much longer I can go through the guessing game and the torture.

Default Re: Ready to quit! Too much Stress!

(((hugs))) It sounds like you've been put through the wringer, Jenn.

Let me see if I understand your questions. You're looking for something "natural" to treat thrush? And you're looking for someone who can visit you and see watch how your baby nurses? You're concerned that your baby isn't nursing properly?

In the meanwhile, please read this information:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html (there is a link inside this link that will lead you to a FANTASTIC article on thrush)
    And this...
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

thrush is horrible. i can understand your frustration. check out this link on grapefruit seed extract. i got organic grapefruitseed extract at my healthfood store. i did this protocal and it worked. i swabbed my nipples and my dd's mouth every hour for two days but i felt relief within a couple of hours. my dd didn't mind it too much. she made a funny face but quickly got over it.

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/thrush.asp

(sorry, i don't know how to make it a link, but just copy and paste it)

good luck
    shelley

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. It must have been very disappointing to seek help from a LLL Leader and go away feeling unheard and unhelped. Not every Leader will be a good "fit" with every mom, so if you can find other local Leaders, give them a try. The strength of LLL Leaders is that they have access to the most accurate and reliable information about breastfeeding and the various problems moms and babies face from a pro-breastfeeding perspective. There is a lot of misinformation out there in the medical community and in society in general. Also, a lot of doctors and nurses think they are supportive of breastfeeding, but they don't know how to advise moms when problems arise. So, I'm sorry you had a lousy experience with that one Leader, but please don't dismiss all Leaders or the other assistance that LLL can offer (through group meetings, the website, etc.) Also, you might look around for other sources of lactation support from a board-certified IBCLC lactation consultant (it's a pity every hospital doesn't provide them!)

Thrush is a real pain in the you-know-what. It can cause big problems in a breastfeeding relationship and it can be really painful for both baby and mom. It can also present a lot of different symptoms, or even no visible symptoms at all, so its diagnosis is sometimes a bit of a mystery or guessing game. The general rule is, if you suspect thrush, go ahead and treat both mom and baby for it, thoroughly and completely, and continue treating for a full two weeks after any symptoms have disappeared.

It's great that you are taking probiotics and eating yogurt. Make sure the yogurt you eat is unsweetened, and that you minimize sugars in your overall diet, as yeast thrives on sugars. You can also find acidophilus powder in health food stores that is made for infants (check the minimum age guideline on the label).

If the Nystatin isn't working out for you, look into using gentian violet. If I recall correctly, the only unpleasant side effect is that it turns the baby's mouth -- and anything else it touches -- a bright purple that may last for several days.

I haven't heard of the Motherlove product you mentioned, so I can't evaluate its effectiveness for a mom's thrush. I would caution you that just because a product calls itself natural or organic, that doesn't necessarily mean it is safe, effective, or a good match for your needs. Treat the yeast on your nipples aggressively and consistently, and if you don't feel rapid improvement, try other forms of treatment.

Also -- and this is more important than most people realize -- make sure that there are no latch problems or other sources of nipple soreness or damage, as yeast tends to really take root when there are any breaks or abrasions in the skin.

It's completely understandable that when breastfeeding isn't going well, you think about giving up. I like that you have committed to at least another week before making that decision. A lot can change in a week! Since you and your daughter were nursing successfully for the first 3 weeks, I suspect that once you can iron out these current problems, you will be able again to have a happy and satisfying breastfeeding relationship for as long as you both want to nurse -- and what could be more "natural and organic" than that? Good luck, and let us know how you're doing.

--Rebecca

You're looking for something "natural" to treat thrush? Yes - please! Something other than the Nystatin which I think is contributing to stomach upset.
    And you're looking for someone who can visit you and see watch how your baby nurses? Yes - my hospital was never able to provide me with this and It would be such a relief if someone who knows best could watch me and tell me what I am doing wrong or assure me what we are doing is fine....

You're concerned that your baby isn't nursing properly? Perhaps? It is all just such a guessing game!

Jenn ~ Have you tried to contact a different Leader in your area? Most Leaders will make house calls if specifically asked. I'm very sorry that you had a less than spectacular experience with a LLL Leader. I do hope that you'll give us a 2nd chance though!

You mentioned that for the first 3 weeks nursing was just fine but it's been these last 3 weeks that are causing you grief. Can you tell us specifically what is going on that is so stressful for you?

In regards to the thrush, it's possible that YOU have thrush but baby is asymptomatic. But regardless, you'll need to treat both you and baby for 2 weeks past the disappearance of symptoms. If you do have thrush, eating yogurt probably isn't enough probiotic. I posted this a few days ago with a few thrush treatment suggestions. Maybe you'll find it useful -- http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...90&postcount=2

Try to hang in there just a bit longer!

One of the most common nonprescription treatments for thrush is gentian violet. It is very purple and stains, so you need to be careful with it. Research has shown that it is even more effective than nystatin. A friend who is a NICU nurse says they use it often in preemies because they are prone to thrush. It's cheap and can be used in the baby's mouth (make sure to dilute it so it's not too strong) and on your nipples. A good site for thrush info that is non-LLL is http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/index.html

The other sites are all great as well. This link from the site above is info specifically about gentian violet and how to use it. http://www.kellymom.com/newman/06gentian_violet.html

I second what another poster said about seeing if another LLL Leader is in your area. Everyone has a different personality, so you may 'click' better with a different Leader. Same goes for LLL groups...they all have different dynamics.

You are concerned if the baby is nursing properly. Have you experienced any pain with breastfeeding not caused by thrush? Is there something specific that you are questioning about how baby is nursing? We'll be glad to help here if you're not comfortable finding another leader in your area or if there isn't another leader in your area.
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

HI! I battled thrush, and it was difficult. My ds was older at that point (10 months), so I had a solid bf background, and knew how important it was to ds, which helped me make it through. I got it diagnosed fairly late, and then didn't go back to the doc soon enough when the first prescription (Nysatin) wasn't working. But, I am now very happy that I battled through it when everyone was telling me just to wean ds.

It may not be organic and natural, but Dr. Jack Newman's miracle nipple ointment was a godsend for me (I think someone already posted his site). I also ended up going with the prescription Diflucan, which started making a difference right away. But I have known other moms who have had a lot of success by taking accidipholous tablets (you can't get quite enough from just eating yogurt). The sites the pps have listed are great. Here is another website (not LLL site) that has some information.

http://www.breastfeeding-basics.com/html/candida.shtml

Good luck, I know how difficult this is, especially when you're just getting started!