Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 week old Grunting growling and letting go of breast at beginning of feeding

Default 3 week old Grunting growling and letting go of breast at beginning of feeding

My 3 week old has done great with breastfeeding up until this last few days. She has started to growl and pull away shortly after latching. After she also will have her mouth open and just move her head back and forth vigorously like she wants to eat but wont latch on.

my breast haven't been engorged so I don't think that it is to difficult for her to latch on... but my breast are starting to get sore.

Please help us I don't want this good thing to come to an end.

I should also add that my milk supply isn't low as when this happens it makes such a mess because I will have milk dripping everywhere while I try getting her to eat.

Default Re: 3 week old Grunting growling and letting go of breast at beginning of feeding

It sounds like you might have an overactive letdown and she doesn't like how fast the milk is coming. Try nursing her in a more upright postion and/or let some milk come out onto a towel before you let her latch on.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Default Re: 3 week old Grunting growling and letting go of breast at beginning of feeding

Yes, sounds like you have a textbook case of overactive letdown. The good news is that babies usually grow out of this and learn to handle the fast flow as they get older. Lots of info and suggestions here.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.