Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 month old wakes up to nurse every hour at night

Default 10 month old wakes up to nurse every hour at night

My DD is almost 10 months old, and LOVES nursing. She falls asleep nursing for naps and at night. She has never gone to sleep any other way. She usually sleeps walking in the stroller or the carrier and car, but wakes up when you move her.

She also has never slept through the night. I hear stories of these babies that sleep through the night but it has never become a reality in our house.

We have a pretty good bedtime routine. Calm play, a warm and relaxing bath, get dressed, nurse, and then put her to bed. She's out cold. It's 8:00 p.m. I watch the clock and exactly an hour later she is up screaming, wants to nurse again for 10ish minutes and goes back to bed. She repeats this pattern every hour untlil 7 am.

She is also not a great napper. Usually 1 or 2 20-45 minute naps.

I go back to work in 2 months, and after a night like last night I can't imagine working feeling like a walking zombie!

Any suggestions would be wonderful!!

Thanks,
    Mirkka

P.S. I am completely against letting her cry it out which has been suggested by almost everyone I know. I can't let her get that upset, and it's too upsetting for me also.

Default Re: 10 month old wakes up to nurse every hour at night

Do you co-sleep?
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!

She's in a co-sleeper crib right next to our bed.

Does your baby nurse that frequently during the day? Also, and this may be a long shot, but does she display any (other) reflux symptoms?
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

She nurses on demand. Probably every 2-3 hours and we did baby led weaning and she eats solids like a champ, 3 meals a day and a few snacks. She doesn't have any reflux symptoms.

This sounds exactly like my second DD. There was a lot going on, teething, new milestones (she walked at 9.5months), a lot going on. At some point she consolidated the nap to one 1-2hour one (I can't remember when) but I HAD to stop watching the clock. It got to the point where I wouldn't sleep because I'd think, "oh I'll just be up in an hour anyway". I say sleep as much as you can, even if it's in 45 minute intervals. It really does help. And things do improve. DD2 is 27mos and sleeps through (most nights) and by sleeping through I mean a good 3-5 hours until she wakes up and needs to use the potty or comes in to sleep with me. It'll get better.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

with PP. My LO is almost 9 months and just went thru a period of nursing every single hour overnight. We co-sleep but I would still wake up to her squirming or me needing to change positions, or my back hurting, etc. It was exhausting but I'm pretty sure it's because she was learning to crawl and a tooth was coming through. Hang in there! It'll get better soon :-)
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!

Thanks everyone for the responses. She's definately getting a tooth, her other "fang". She got her top eyetooth and the other one is coming in and she learned to crawl about 2 weeks ago. Maybe that's what it is. I have been using advil and tylenol and baby oral gel and she still wakes up screaming. I just feel so bad for her because something is obviously preventing her from sleeping.

Yeah, I bet it's the teething. With Joe, the eye teeth (canines) were obviously quite uncomfortable. I hope it pops through soon and you both can get some relief!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.