Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poop questions

Default Poop questions

Poop! So much fun eh? Sorry!

Some background: DS is 6 months old and weighs 11lb 2, was 7lb 2 at birth - so as you can see we have been struggling with weight gain. Have tried lots of different things to increase supply and weight gain - won't go into all the details because there's too many, but nothing has worked and we continue to struggle.

DS's poop is normally very mucousy and watery/thin other than the mucous. It is normally yellow, with the occasional green poop thrown in. Very rarely do we get the infamous breastfed poop seeds. For the past two months he's been pooping usually daily.

Does his poop sound normal to you? I did try an elimination diet a couple of months ago to see if we could get rid of the mucous but no luck. He drools a lot, and I've heard that that can lead to mucousy poops, so we've been blaming it on that.

The last 5 days he's been having green poops. This is not normal for him. Still lots of mucous. Because he's not gaining well, I do wonder about a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, but I know I don't have an oversupply and he doesn't normally have the green poops, so can you have a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance without green poops normally? Or is it more likely a virus? Or something else? Because he is so small it worries me. He has been extra clingy this past week and last week at a doc appointment he had a mild fever and because there didn't seem to be anything wrong with him and because of his weight the doc wanted us to do a urine test to test for a uti - we are still waiting for the results. I think the fever and clinginess could be because of teething - he's been gnawing like crazy the past week.

Any thoughts/ideas appreciated! Thanks!

Default Re: Poop questions

The poop on its own doesn't sound unusual to me, but I can see why you'd be worried when you combine it with his trouble gaining. My first thought would be more frequent nursing if you're concerned about a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance -- maybe every 1.5 to 2 hours or even more often -- but I'm guessing you've tried that.

What does your doctor think is going on?

From my limited experience, I think it's hard to tell from poop alone--you have to combine the poop with other symptoms (fever, change in behavior, vomiting, pain etc.) and clinical exams to tell if there's anything wrong. The green poop and the mucus in and of themselves are not necessarily a problem; they can be normal, according to my pediatrician.
    Just to give you an idea, my LO had diarrhea at about 5 weeks old. That was clearly abnormal: not only was it dark green, but it also was ultra-mucousy (more than usual) and also a HUGE amount all at once. The amount of poop is what clearly showed it was abnormal. She pooped herself out in one shoot over the changing table! (Scary.) The doctor thinks it was a virus, and it went away on its own.
    Ever since, she's had the full spectrum of poops: green, yellow, brown, seedy, watery, liquidy, with and without mucus... but those were all normal.
    I know that my post doesn't really clarify it for you, but I guess every baby is different and every moment with your baby is also different. I think in your case you need more information from tests or clinical examinations to make sure your little one is OK, especially because of the weight gain issues.
    Is he peeing normally? It always reassured me to see her pee, because at least I knew she wasn't dehydrated.
    Good luck with the test, I hope it's not a UTI or anything serious!

Out of curiosity, what did you eliminate and for how long did you follow the diet?
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    The poop on its own doesn't sound unusual to me, but I can see why you'd be worried when you combine it with his trouble gaining. My first thought would be more frequent nursing if you're concerned about a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance -- maybe every 1.5 to 2 hours or even more often -- but I'm guessing you've tried that.

What does your doctor think is going on?
    I try to feed him as often as he'll take it, but we went through a phase where he was so distracted all the time! That seems to have passed, but I sometimes wonder if these constant 'snacks' are meaning he's getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk because I am always switching sides - 3-10 minutes on one side, switch to the other for the same, and prob back again, sometimes not, sometimes a few times back and forth. Repeat in 1-3 hours. So both sides are getting some action but maybe block feeding would help? Oh I might start another thread on this - getting off topic here!

Doc is considered but not freaking out. We are getting more medical tests done, including a CF sweat test, to rule out anything medical. I just wish he'd gain more weight!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmanih View Post
    From my limited experience, I think it's hard to tell from poop alone--you have to combine the poop with other symptoms (fever, change in behavior, vomiting, pain etc.) and clinical exams to tell if there's anything wrong. The green poop and the mucus in and of themselves are not necessarily a problem; they can be normal, according to my pediatrician.
    Just to give you an idea, my LO had diarrhea at about 5 weeks old. That was clearly abnormal: not only was it dark green, but it also was ultra-mucousy (more than usual) and also a HUGE amount all at once. The amount of poop is what clearly showed it was abnormal. She pooped herself out in one shoot over the changing table! (Scary.) The doctor thinks it was a virus, and it went away on its own.
    Ever since, she's had the full spectrum of poops: green, yellow, brown, seedy, watery, liquidy, with and without mucus... but those were all normal.
    I know that my post doesn't really clarify it for you, but I guess every baby is different and every moment with your baby is also different. I think in your case you need more information from tests or clinical examinations to make sure your little one is OK, especially because of the weight gain issues.
    Is he peeing normally? It always reassured me to see her pee, because at least I knew she wasn't dehydrated.
    Good luck with the test, I hope it's not a UTI or anything serious!
    No UTI, but honestly I was kind of hoping that since I've read UTI's can lead to weight gain issues and how nice it'd be to have this figured out!! He has a bad cold and cough now so I'm pretty sure the green poop is from this virus. Poor little guy. Nursing like crazy to try and keep him hydrated and stop him from losing weight during this virus!

We are getting various tests done, including stool, so maybe something will turn up that isn't serious but fixable and cures all of these problems! Hey, a mama can dream, right?!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*firefly View Post
    Out of curiosity, what did you eliminate and for how long did you follow the diet?
    Well, I don't eat eggs and dairy anyhow so they were already out, so from what I can remember... soy, corn, citrus, tree nuts, chickpeas, chocolate, tomatoes... can't remember if there was anything else but I seem to think there was! For 2-3 weeks each (did a bunch at once, in two lots). I didn't take wheat out at the time because I was undergoing testing for celiac, which I have since found out I have, and so have been gluten-free for two months now and it hasn't made one bit of difference to him.