Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just turned 1 - How often to nurse?

Default Just turned 1 - How often to nurse?

My DD just turned 1 year old. We have not had her check up yet due to insurance issues we have to wait another month. I am wondering how much breastmilk she needs now that she is 1? Is she supposed to get nourishment mainly from breastmilk still or is it solid food first? I would like to wean in the next few months (very unlikely, she's addicted to the boob) but want to make sure I am giving her what she needs. She's in her crip now until about 3 am and then to my bed and nurses til we wake up.

Default Re: Just turned 1 - How often to nurse?

You can feel free to give her solids first and then nurse on demand. At one year my baby was still very much a baby. I nursed on demand.

If you have questions about nursing past the next few months, there are quite a few mamas here who can answer any questions you have. I never imagined I'd be nursing my daughter still, but I can honestly say it's an amazing mothering tool and one of the things I'm so happy I'm doing. There are numerous wonderful benefits to toddler nursing.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

If you want to begin weaning you can offer solids first then nursing. Make sure her diet is rich in healthy food and calcium and you can offer after meals, nap and night time. It may help to night wean too just to see if you can manage only nursing in the day, many mothers find that more manageable
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    You can feel free to give her solids first and then nurse on demand. At one year my baby was still very much a baby. I nursed on demand.

If you have questions about nursing past the next few months, there are quite a few mamas here who can answer any questions you have. I never imagined I'd be nursing my daughter still, but I can honestly say it's an amazing mothering tool and one of the things I'm so happy I'm doing. There are numerous wonderful benefits to toddler nursing.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Congratulations! And Happy Birthday to your baby!!

I agree with all of the posters. I love toddler nursing and I am nursing my one year old on demand right now. But, if you really want to wean in the next few months, you can start offering solids first. A friend of mine made whole milk yogurt smoothies with avocados and other fruits and veggies and slowly replaced each nursing session with a smoothie. Something like one nursing session a week.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months