Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden increase in demand - will I cope?

Default Sudden increase in demand - will I cope?

My daughter is 15 months old and due to a serious medical condition has been put on a course of steroid medication. This is expected to be ongoing. A side effect of the drugs is that she has an increased appetite and now wants to nurse very frequently, whereas before we were down to only 3-4 times in 24 hours.

I am interested to know if my body will respond to this change given her age. Will I be giving her what she needs or should I try to supplement with cow's milk? (she's not keen on this). I have noticed my appetite has increased but otherwise I can't tell if I'm making more milk. Thanks!

Default Re: Sudden increase in demand - will I c

You can increase your milk supply at any time, provided your breasts get additional stimulation and milk removal either from a nursing child or from a pump. Give it time- your LO should be able to increase your supply to whatever level she needs it to be at. At 15 months old, many toddlers are still mostly breastfed and eat very little solid food.

I'm sorry she has a medical condition. If you feel like sharing what it is, you might find a mama here who has experience with it, or who can connect you with relevant resources. No pressure!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"