Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to pump plugged duct - need help

Default How to pump plugged duct - need help

I seem to have a plugged duct since the entire underside of my breast is extremely hard. Production is also down in that breast and my baby refuses to nurse from it. I tried warm compress, hot shower, electric toothbrush, massage, some nursing, pumping etc....and it won't come out. It's been 24 hrs.

I know that the best way to get it out is to nurse, nurse, nurse but it's not that easy for my baby and I.

Has anyone managed to get these out with a pump? I wouldn't want it to turn into mastitis...please let me know what has worked for you.

Default Re: How to pump plugged duct - need help

thats the worst. The best luck I have is doing massage and compressions behind the clog and working it up to the nipple. Also dangle nursing helps, when you have baby lay down and you hover over and nurse. When I do pump I do the massage and compressions at the same time. Good luck.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I will say that when I got mastitis while exclusively pumping for my first, I could not get the plugged ducts to empty even after antibiotics had taken care of the infection. I tried all sorts of things (especially massage and compressions while pumping, which is great advice), but it didn't work. I was using a professional-grade pump at the time, and I went to the LC and rented a hospital-grade (Medela Symphony). I just rented it for a short time, but it helped immensely.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

ouch!! i hope you get it unblocked soon! i have taken a hand pump into the shower with me and gotten a duct to unplug but it took forever. i just read and article about using a comb in the shower to help unplug. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...usualtreatment good luck!

I've taken soy lechitin to keep things flowing in there. It has helped alot. I think soy lechitin is in candy bars too lol. Good luck! that sucks

I personally find that NURSING eventually takes care of a plugged duct MUCH better than pumping ever will. So I'd do the nursing. Then if you have time, pump and massage.

i'm EPing for my fourth baby and have had a plugged duct for about a week; only the one of many, many during the last 6+ years of nursing and making milk. It's getting better slowly, but it takes time. I've had them take a week or so to clear. Just keep working on it.

Lecticin does help. Also, cut your saturated fat intake if you get a lot of them. I ate a little bit of ice cream the other day That's where I got this current plug from.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Update - fortunately the plug is gone! The baby nursed it out last night as he was really hungry after a 5 hour sleep.

So still unsuccessful in getting plugs unclogged with the pump - the baby is still the best at this job!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*vizcaya01 View Post
    Update - fortunately the plug is gone! The baby nursed it out last night as he was really hungry after a 5 hour sleep.
    I'm glad that worked itself out. I'll reiterate the suggestion to use soy lecithin (it's probably better as a supplement than in candy bar form, though ) if you find that you are susceptible to plugged ducts. It's annoying to have to add one more thing to do every day, but recurrent plugs can really cause a lot of problems. I've seen another mom on here suggest that DH "nurse" the affected breast for a really stubborn plug (and spit the milk out if he wants.) Some little babies don't have the suction needed to work out the big ones. (I was never bold enough to ask DH to do this back when I was getting plugs. I would have just gotten a .)
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

I used to get chronic plugged ducts and no amount of massaging, warm compressions, or nursing seemed to help. Even did the soy lecithin and that didn't help. For the future, you may want to learn how to hand express - that was the only thing that ultimately helped me in the long run and gave me the bonus of increasing my supply like no pump could. I recommend after every pump session you hand express for just a couple of minutes to completely clear your breasts of that rich fatty cream.

When I had a plugged duct, I only let DD nurse on the bad side for a couple of days, and I pumped the good one to add to my freezer stash But, she was still willing to nurse from it...