Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Domperidone

Default Domperidone

Do I need prescription for domperidone. If I do, where can I get the prescription? My primary care, OB or pediatrician?

this is my last resort in increasing my milk supply.

I really need this.

Default Re: Domperidone

I went through the same thing. My supply was low and wasn't increasing enough for my DD to gain weight well. A lactation consultant suggested I try Domperidone, and I went to my primary care doctor for a prescription. He put me on I take 30 mg/3x a day. It took about 2 weeks for it to take full effect, but it did increase my supply. I am still on it, my DD is 10 months, and will have to keep taking it to maintain my milk but we (neither my DD or I) have had any ill effects from the medication. Hope this helps. Good luck and keep up the good work!

Did it increase your supply alot? Currently, I am only pumpling 4-5 oz from both in 24 hours. I was thinking of giving up on BF by the end of this week but I am getting depressed already I haven't even given up yet. I used to get just enough but we went to Vegas for 5 days and i was not pumping nor BF for 8 or more hours and that kindda affected my supply. On top of this my LO is on nursing strike for 2 weeks now ( which I think is too long already ) I am not sure if she would still want my breast.

Sorry for the slow response. It took 2-3 weeks for the domperidone to work, but it did increase my supply. I also started taking fenugreek, and between the two I have enough milk for my LO and she is gaining weight and happy. Check the www.kellymom.com website for information about nursing strikes and using galatagogues like fenugreek and domperidone. Or google Dr. Jack Newman, go to his website there is a lot of information about nursing strikes and domperidone too. Good luck, don't give up you are doing the best for you LO.
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

I just asked my doctor about it and he won't prescribe it. In fact told me that he only prescribes Reglan, and with that only in the beginning. Basically told me that at 7.5 months if I'm having problems, "it's a supply and demand thing". I know that, and I'm pumping more, starting fenugreek and blessed thistle! I just wanted to see if that was another option available to me. Guess not!
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10