Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Upset at high lipase

Default Upset at high lipase

I just want to vent a little. My baby was born on 3/11/11 and I have been exclusively breastfeeding from the very begining. I was so excited to get started, and was even more excited when I found out that I had an over-abundance of milk. (I was freezing anywhere from 6 to 12 ounces of milk daily) But just recently I have experienced a decrease in the amount of milk that I have been getting, plus my growing boy has been drinking more. So I had to pull some of my milk out of the freezer for the first time, only to discover that my baby would not drink it because it tastes rancid. I thawed four different bags from various different dates and all of them are the same. Until visiting this site, I had no idea that high lipase could even be an issue. Now I have about 150 6oz bags of milk in my freezer that are no good. Talk about heartbreaking!

Default Re: Upset at high lipase

Hi, I have the same lipase issue, my milk tastes like soap. At first I thought it was the soap I was washing the bottles with so I changed about 5 of them only to do a quick search online and find out that it was the milk! Fortunately my 2 mo old son never complained about the taste and he drinks it just fine. To get rid of the excess lipase you have to scald your milk. I do it now for every excess milk production in the bottle warmer. I don't have a lot of extra milk so it hasn't been a lot of work. I also try to breastfeed as much as possible since the milk straight from the breast is fine.

I don't have a solution to the already frozen milk, other than maybe combine it with some fresh milk to dilute the taste? If your LO won't drink it at all you may want to consider donating it...the milk banks will take it...

I had thought about mixing it, but I was a little worried because the info on this site says that it is unknown whether or not the thawed milk is safe to drink. I hadn't thought about donating it. That would be better than having to dump it all.

In case you haven't noticed this sticky, here's a long thread full of good info on excess lipase:

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...cessive-Lipase
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyann View Post
    I had thought about mixing it, but I was a little worried because the info on this site says that it is unknown whether or not the thawed milk is safe to drink. I hadn't thought about donating it. That would be better than having to dump it all.
    It's totally safe IF your baby will take it. Some will. Some won't.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks, I will keep trying to get him to take it.

If he won't drink it, you can use it for making foods later where the flavor can be masked.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!