Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New mom returning to work with NO CLUE

Default New mom returning to work with NO CLUE

I am returning to work on July 5th and I have no clue what to do regarding bottle feeding and my little one. She will be 6 weeks old and has been on the bottle a few times with no problems. My inlaws will be watching her, however, she formula fed all her children, so she has no clue how to handle a breastfed baby. I was reading an article which detailed a great need on the position and giving the bottle to help protect nipple confusion. Are these steps really necessary?

What is the best way to tell her to prepare the frozen breast milk? The baby is having lots of gas/tummy issues currently and I am worried a bottle will make it worse.

Also, I am currently pumping after feeding and only getting about an ounce. I have a bag in the fridge and collect all day before freezing. Is this safe?

Default Re: New mom returning to work with NO CLUE

This link should be very helpful. You could print out the PDF version and give it to your inlaws where there can keep it handy like on the fridge
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jas View Post
    I am returning to work on July 5th and I have no clue what to do regarding bottle feeding and my little one. She will be 6 weeks old and has been on the bottle a few times with no problems. My inlaws will be watching her, however, she formula fed all her children, so she has no clue how to handle a breastfed baby. I was reading an article which detailed a great need on the position and giving the bottle to help protect nipple confusion. Are these steps really necessary?
    the article linked above is great. It really helps and it gives only what is necessary.

What is the best way to tell her to prepare the frozen breast milk? The baby is having lots of gas/tummy issues currently and I am worried a bottle will make it worse.
    I always froze my milk in bottles (and pumped directly into the bottles) and just took what was needed out of the freezer at the beginning of the day. They defrost easily and all anyone needs to do to prep them is swirl then replace the lid with a nipple. Also after your first day you probably won't need to freeze. fresh milk is even healthier than frozen and the frozen is pretty good stuff.

Also, I am currently pumping after feeding and only getting about an ounce. I have a bag in the fridge and collect all day before freezing. Is this safe?
    Totally safe and good production.

You can do this mama
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Another silly question, how do I know if my milk has went bad?

You can tell by smelling/tasting it. It will taste rancid if its bad. Most milk is good at room temp for 4-6hrs, in the fridge for 3-8 days, and in the freezer for 6-12months. (The first numbers are the ideal time limits and the second numbers are the acceptable limits.)