Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still feeling really full after pumping???

Default Still feeling really full after pumping???

My newest little one is only 5 days old and nursing is going great! I'm pumping to get a freezer stash and I have been reeeally full of milk. But after I pump, I still feel reeeeally full. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong?? I don't remember feeling this way with my first son, but maybe I did...
    Emily~ nursing my 19 mo old baby boy with baby #2 due June of 2011!

Default Re: Still feeling really full after pumping???

congrats!!!

imo its way too early to be pumping.

let the baby remove the milk and establish your supply for a few weeks.

if you are going to build a freezer stash it can wait, even if you are going back to work.

Really?? I just thought since I have SO much milk it'd be good to take advantage of it... but maybe you are right. It's difficult being engorged all of the time (uncomfortable when sleeping) and leaking all of the time. I stay at home, but just wanted the stash for when I decide to introduce bottles for mommy breaks. Maybe I should relax and do it later...

with the PP. It seems like an obvious time to pump, but it's actually a good time to leave your breasts alone. Most moms start out making too much milk, and if you pump, you risk perpetuating or exacerbating that problem. And it is a problem: making too much milk can be uncomfortable, is a waste of your body's energy, puts you at increased risk for plugged ducts or mastitis, and can result in very fast letdowns that are difficult for the baby to handle. Let your milk supply settle down a bit, and then start judicious pumping.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You just appreciate the value of milk

You just had him! I would just relax (mentally at least) and take care of you and the baby. Then when you feel like you are in a groove, pump after your first nursing session in the am. You are doing a great job, enjoy the nursing. i was going back to work at 12 weeks and didnt start pumping unto about 8 weeks.

from oversupply land!

I agree w/ Erin and mommal. Especially for just occasional use, you don't really want a stash at all. Everyone talks about a freezer stash, but the only time you really want to try to build up a big one is if you are EPing and can't adjust your supply to your baby's demands naturally (with nursing).

To give you an example, we are going out of town this weekend, and I am not bringing any pumped milk with us. We do plan on meeting our friends out one night and leaving our kids w/ their grandmother, but I will pump earlier that day or the day before to provide that bottle - which she may not even need, b/c we probably won't be out and away from them for more than a couple of hours.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Ok.... so maybe I was being a bit obsessive.

I AM tired. And I feel so guilty (and a little sad) that my relationship has changed with my 2 year old. I miss our time together. Maybe I'm trying to do too much here. I am going to take the advice and relax... worry about the extra milk to have on hand later. I RARELY will be leaving them with DH or Grandma anyway... just the occasional trip to Target or the grocery store alone...

Thanks, Ladies!!

i feel guilty about the change in my relationship with my older son too. It is natural.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newmama79 View Post
    Ok.... so maybe I was being a bit obsessive.

I AM tired. And I feel so guilty (and a little sad) that my relationship has changed with my 2 year old. I miss our time together. Maybe I'm trying to do too much here. I am going to take the advice and relax... worry about the extra milk to have on hand later. I RARELY will be leaving them with DH or Grandma anyway... just the occasional trip to Target or the grocery store alone...

Thanks, Ladies!!
    I think this is totally natural, Mama. And you should slow down. Aside from what others said about creating oversupply, you're putting way to much stress on your 5 day PP body! Use the pumping time to have snuggle time with your toddler Glad everything is going so well in terms of nursing.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Ok... so how do I stop this vicious cycle? I am SO full all of the time. If I don't pump it out, I am in pain... like I just had to get out of bed to take motrin and pump because it hurts so bad I can't sleep.