Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I just complain for a minute?

Default Can I just complain for a minute?

Ouch - my right nipple has a little sore spot from where DS was rubbing the wrong way, after I fell asleep and he was nursing. I just picked at it and now it's bleeding a little. That's fine, whatever. But as I'm pumping at work, that side is hurting too much to turn the pump all the way up. And if I don't turn the pump all the way up, I can't get enough milk out! I wish I could have one side be at a stronger setting than the other side! When I only pump one side at a time, it doesn't feel strong enough at all. I'm not sure if I should grin and bear the pain, or if I should lower the pump and not get all of the milk out! Ugh!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Default Re: Can I just complain for a minute?

I totally agree that they should make a pump where you can customize the settings for each boobie.

And yes, you can complain on here. That's part of why we are here

I'm not quite sure what the solution is though. Maybe hand expressing after you pump to make sure most of it is out?

I suck at hand expression. I'm just glad that the day is almost over. Maybe it'll be healed by tomorrow. Although, now that I ripped it open, I'm a little scared to nurse tonight too.

I'm just in a bad mood today, because DS woke up at 10pm, 1am, 2am, 3am, 4am, and 5:30am last night. I'm ready for the week to be over and it's only Tuesday.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

What I have done is pump one side at a time when that happens. It takes longer though Hope you heal soon!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

The whole time I pumped for my DD1 I pumped only one side at a time.It was time consuming but that was the only way it worked for me.

Thanks
    Mangai

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    When I only pump one side at a time, it doesn't feel strong enough at all. I'm not sure if I should grin and bear the pain, or if I should lower the pump and not get all of the milk out! Ugh!
    I'm not sure what kind of pump you're using, but are you sure that you've sealed off the double pump opening well enough. Pumping on only one side will naturally take longer, but the vacuum shouldn't be so significantly lower that it doesn't feel strong enough. Sometimes when I single pumped and things weren't quite right, I discovered that I just hadn't clicked my closure on the other tube quite enough (not sure how to phrase that).

When I EPed, sometimes on Friday nights my husband and I would watch a movie together, and I would spend A LOT of time single pumping (even with a manual pump at times). I dealt with tons and tons of nipple (and even breast) soreness, and that just let me give each breast a little TLC once in a while.

I'm totally with you that pumps would be much better if you could have individual settings for each breast. My Left always needed higher vacuum than my right, so my right mostly got abused. I'm sorry you're having pain now. I'd look again at single pumping and see if you can't adjust something to make it work.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)