Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daycare Concerns

Default Daycare Concerns

i feel like i'm a broken record talking about this....the one forum i haven't said anything on is this one. this place keeps me sane. so help me out ladies.

LO has been going to daycare for 7 days already (1 week 2 days). i've always nursed him on demand when i was at home. like i've said before i never really knew how much he was taking from me, we don't have meters on our jugs but from the LCs i've seen and from when DH would bottle feed him, LO was getting about 3oz sometimes 2.5.

when i went back to work i had to have another sitter watch him before daycare. during that time LO took four 3oz bottles like a champ. it took him the 2nd day to get it though....when i started him off at daycare the first couple of days he didn't take all the 3oz bottles. he only took in 5oz during the whole 8 hours he was there. 5oz went to 6oz, then to 2.5, then to 3oz, they're fluctuating! i then brought the bottles down to 2.5oz....still taking in very little till this day. yesterday he only took 3oz. its a lil frustrating because 1-whatever he doesnt drink they're throwing out after an hour 2-i'm concerned he's not eating enough. i have now brought the bottles down to 2oz.... his diaper output fluctuates. there's days he has more wet than bowel movements and vice versa. should i be concerned about this? i am going to continue to monitor his intake till thurs and then will address it with my pediatrician. i'm wondering if the daycare providers aren't giving him the bottle right....

also.... i notice he's sleeping a lot after i pick him up around 4pm. he's getting sporadic naps while he's there(6:20am-4pm) but when i pick him up hes either already sleeping or when we get home and i'm done nursing him he knocks out for a good 4 hours. sometimes i have to wake him up to nurse...by that time it's like 8pm or 9. should i be concerned about this?

sorry for ranting. just being a worry wart. after seeing his "how i did today" chart and only 3 oz on his bottle intake made me cry on the way home. oh how i wish i could stay home with him....

Default Re: Daycare Concerns

They are throwing them out after an hour?!?

Seriously, that's what I would freak out about! That advice is applicable to formula, but not to breastmilk! They could put it in the fridge and use it at the next feeding.

I don't know if there's anything in print to confirm that, but that's what I do.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

i know! it's their policy though.
    i've ranted about this too on another forum and other working moms said their daycare also has the same policy. they just said to bring more bottles with lil amounts that way there's no wasting. which i'm doing now...but cause LO is still wishy washy on how much he wants to drink a lot of my BM is going to waste.
    i have thought about talking to the director about it...but i think they do this to protect their butts. no bacteria growth, no opportunties for contamination, etc etc...

My older daughter did this. Have you checked your milk for lipase yet? I found out when she was 11 months old that was why she was refusing bottles...

It's hard, I'm sorry. It's awful to know that they wouldn't eat when you weren't there and then they just pass out when you finally get them home. My daughter reverse cycled, nursed all night long and generally took in 5 to 8 ounces a day when apart from me for 11 hours. But that was after a month... initially she was only drinking 3 ounces or less.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

yes.i think i do have that....but LO never has refused the bottle with anyone else. with DH or the other sitter..he was taking them just fine. i read if you have lipase and baby still drinks and doesnt have a prob with it..it's ok, right?

Yes, it is ok. There's nothing wrong with the milk, it just tastes gross. And for me, there is only one day a week that milk is scalded for, I can give the baby the milk I pumped today tomorrow and it doesn't taste off. But anything more than 36 hours and mine needs to be scalded because it tastes like vomit then. So I scald and freeze milk on the last day of the week and rotate the freezer stash through the fridge on Mondays.
    Tracie

Mommy to

that's a good option. i will start doing that so i can go through my freezer stash and also so LO can get a bundle of good tasting BM.
    so...as for your story...it took your LO after a month to start reverse cycling? and she was only taking in 3oz as well?
    i was hoping he would be reverse cycling but he's not.... he's always sleeping.

She pretty much reverse cycled immediately. It took a month for her to take more than 3 ounces a day from the bottles. I was giving it a month and then I was going to change my hours at work so that I could go nurse her at lunch time. But she started taking 5 to 8 ounces, and I was comfortable with that. Also, her wet diapers weren't changing and she was still gaining weight.

My 5.5 month old baby takes bottles really well and sleeps well at the sitter too, and sometimes she conks out. But she is latched on at least a third of the night.

Does your baby sleep through the night? Do you cosleep? That really helps get extra feeds into them.
    Tracie

Mommy to

yep! when i do wake him from his looong nap (which i'm a lil eh about doing..i read you're not supposed to wake a sleeping babe) to nurse before bed he does suck down a good amt. i let him comfort suck. . he does sleep well through the night...down around 10-10:30pm. wakes up around 3 sometimes 4am to nurse then i feed him again before daycare around 6am. we dont cosleep actually.

So, it sounds like you're getting four good nursing sessions in there. The only other thing you could do is wake him sooner or wake him up in the middle of the night.

I know it's so stressful. You'll get his weight checked on Thursday and maybe you can ask about just bringing him in to get his weight checked periodically for your own peace of mind.

Can you ask them to try feeding him a bottle when he's sleeping?
    Tracie

Mommy to