Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will Bottle Preference Ever Go Away?

Default Will Bottle Preference Ever Go Away?

My DD is 12 weeks yesterday. Pediatrician says she is perfectly healthy in every way. She has been great at breastfeeding since day one... until now. Have been giving her one bottle of breast milk a day for the last 6 weeks in preparation for her to go to daycare when I returned to work. I started back to work two weeks ago. She now gets 3 4oz bottles of expressed milk every day at daycare.

For the past week and a half she has developed bottle preference and fusses every time i try to nurse her. She nurses pretty well at night, latching on quickly because she is half asleep when she wakes up in the middle of the night. I have to catch her while she is still sleepy in the morning so that she will eat well before daycare. I have tried skin to skin, nursing her while sleepy, walking around with her while i nurse, feeding her before she gets too hungry, trying... soothing when she gets fussy... and trying again. I have luckily only had to give her a bottle of breast milk once because she refused to nurse. All other times i was able to coax her into nursing. When she does nurse, she doesn't stay latched on for very long at all... maybe 4 to 5 minutes.

I have a very fast letdown so i think she is getting enough milk. Plenty of wet diapers still, even on the weekends when I only nurse her (no bottles). I have even had success letting her suck on her pacifier to calm her down, and then doing a quick switch to the breast before she notices... anything that works. I have been using Medela bottles with the slow flow nipples.

It has been a week and a half of struggling, and i am wondering if there is an end in sight. Eventually she will learn that she needs to eat both from a bottle, and from mommy, right? Has anyone out there gotten through a situation like this, or am I doomed?
    Last edited by @llli*haagandazs; June 27th, 2011 at 06:57 PM.

Default Re: Will Bottle Preference Ever Go Away?

That happened with my oldest son. We had a lot of issues with breastfeeding for the first 8 weeks, where he preferred a bottle. I did many of the same things you did to keep him nursing, but I'm sure that the main thing was that I quit my job and thus he didn't have to ever have a bottle ever after that, and I banned bottles from our home. Or I can see how he would have decided to quit nursing altogether, because nursing is work!

The time doesn't bother me because I have the same thing when I nurse a baby. But...it could be bothering her. It bothered my oldest son. He didn't like the fast flow and he would cry and fuss and carry on. It didn't help that he also had reflux.

Quitting work is probably not an option for you. I would change bottles. I know that it seems like the Medela ones would be compatible with breastfeeding, but they are most definitely NOT. Look into the Breastflow ones and see if that helps her decide nursing is more fun.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My aunt says to do the orthopedic nipples, you can get them at walmart, target. She says that the breastfed babies at her daycare did best with those.
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

I second the idea of Breastflow bottles. They make the child work more. When we switched to them for my bottle-fed daughter (I EPed for her), she couldn't even handle them at first. When she did master them, she actually was willing to come to my breast and nurse. (I didn't last, I'm afraid, but that had to do with my anatomy, my supply, and the fact that we had not ever had a successful breastfeeding relationship prior to that point.) I've had friends who've had good success with them as well. It sounds like you are doing well so far in your difficult situation, but some babies really do have problems going between breast and bottle, and changing bottles could really be helpful.

My most recent LC was a big fan of Playtex Dropins with NaturaLatch nipples, and I have known three people (myself included, with second child) who've gotten a baby to nurse successfully after having a period of time using those bottles either full or part-time. You may have to try more than one option. Frustrating, I know, but worth it to maintain successful nursing.

I also agree that your baby can get a full feed in less than ten minutes if she's an efficient nurser. Her diaper count sounds good.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

Thank you so much for all of your advice. I have purchased some of The First Years Breastflow Bottles, and am planning on trying them for a week or so to see if things improve. I will post again with an update once i try them for a while. Thanks again for the advice

Well it's been 5 weeks since the bottle preference issue started. Have been using the breast flow bottles for 3 weeks. Still nursing... sometimes she eats great, other times she is fussy. Things have improved, but not 100% better. Guess she will eventually just have to realize that mommy is just as stubborn as her, if not more. Mommy isn't giving up on this.

Good job, Mommy!
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)