Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What can i do so my left breasts produces more milk?

Default What can i do so my left breasts produces more milk?

My right breast is bigger and has better letdown and probably more milk. My left breast is a bit smaller and my letdowns are harder to trigger. Milk quantity is probably less, since I dont hear LO gulp down as much milk. I try to nurse him equally at both breasts so it beats me I have heard that women usually have a breast thats slightly bigger than the other so i wonder if this has anything to do with it or if i dont have enough mammary glands on the left breast.

SORRY FOR THE TYPE ON THE HEADLINE: I MEANT LEFT BREAST

Default Re: What can i do so my left breasts produces more milk?

You mean you don't have 2 left breasts? Cause that would be awesome!

It's normal to have production differ between sides. If there's no troublesome lopsidedness, you can generally just let it be. But if you are lopsided, you can generally even out production by offering the underachieving breast more frequently and starting feedings on that breast. If that doesn't work, you may need to pump the underachiever in addition. Th more milk you remove from that side, the mor you will make.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    You mean you don't have 2 left breasts? Cause that would be awesome!

It's normal to have production differ between sides. If there's no troublesome lopsidedness, you can generally just let it be. But if you are lopsided, you can generally even out production by offering the underachieving breast more frequently and starting feedings on that breast. If that doesn't work, you may need to pump the underachiever in addition. Th more milk you remove from that side, the mor you will make.
    :wss exactly
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

My left is my underachiever, too. I always start the first feeding of the day on it and try to start with it for subsequent feedings. (If it's not too full, my son will protest, so sometimes I start on the other side if he's just recently nursed, but mostly I start on the left.) It still doesn't produce as much as the right (less glandular tissue), but I'm not noticeably lopsided. (Back in my pumping days, I did give the left more time, too.) Also, once he's finished the right (if he isn't crawling away), I offer the left again.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

My left is the overachiever! I wondered if I partially created that by preferring to nurse on that side to free my right hand (I'm right-handed) to NAK!

You can try to balance out the sides by preferring your other side for a while, but you may find it's hard/impossible to perfectly even them out (especially if you just find one side easier, as I do). A slight variation is normal, and there's no need to fix it.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.