Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! Do I really need to supplement?

Default HELP!!! Do I really need to supplement?

My DS is 3 weeks 1 day old today... he was born 7 lbs 14 oz and was 7 lbs 3 oz 48 hours later at discharge. He was still at 7lbs 3 oz at his 1 week weight check then at his 2 week weight check he was 7lbs 8oz. Today he was back up to his birth weight and the ped told me he hasn't gained enough since last week and I need to start giving him 2 oz of formula after each feeding. I was actually kind of shocked she said that since he's gained 6 oz in a week. Does this sound right to you? Isn't 6 oz in a week a good weight gain? Thanks for any help/suggestions...

Default Re: HELP!!! Do I really need to supplement?

6 ounces in a week is good enough weight gain. And feeding him 2 ounces after every feeding is going to put you on the fast road to not breastfeeding anymore.

How are his wet and dirty diapers?

ETA: Here are some links...

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ight-gain.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

How is your baby doing otherwise? 3-4 poops and 5-6 wet diapers? Is he happy? Those are my cues. Not the amount of weight, unless there is no growth at all. Trust your body, not the scale.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I completely agree with the PP. Supplementing will negatively effect your milk supply, and like the PP said you will eventually not be breastfeeding at all. Pay attention to the amount of dirty and wet diapers, and maybe talk to a LC to see if you latch is good and if baby is removing enough milk. Perhaps have them weigh the baby before and after a feeding to see how much milk your LO is taking at each feeding.

Make sure you are feeding your LO on demand, 10-12 times a day, have a good latch and the diaper out put is good.

Maybe you can get another opinion from a Breastfeeding friendly doctor also, because telling you to supplement after each feeding sounds formula friendly to me.
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

Did you have IV fluids during your birth? If so, I would wonder if your LO's birth weight was slightly inflated and that your LO is actually back at birth weight by 2 weeks. That sounds like a perfectly normal weight gain to me! If poops and wets are fine, you don't need that 2 oz supplementation -- which is a LOT for a newborn!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Did you have IV fluids during your birth? If so, I would wonder if your LO's birth weight was slightly inflated and that your LO is actually back at birth weight by 2 weeks. That sounds like a perfectly normal weight gain to me! If poops and wets are fine, you don't need that 2 oz supplementation -- which is a LOT for a newborn!
    I was just thinking the same thing. For my babies, 2-3 oz was a complete feeding.

I think sometimes Dr's are overly cautious with weight gain suggestions! I've heard of so many Dr's suggesting supplementation. I'd think that as long as LO's gaining or staying level and you're seeing lots of wet & dirty diapers you'd be OK, KWIM?. My DD was always on the high end for height (above the 99% line) and low end (25-50%) for weight. Luckily, our Dr said, "she's just a long, lean kid and as long as her weight doesn't start dropping every time we see her, don't worry". She's 6 and is still a long lean kid, and she eats a ton of everything!

My little guy didn't gain weight for the first three weeks, was just stagnant at 8.05 which was over his discharge weight but under his birth weight. The Dr. never said to supplement with formula since he was doing well in all other areas. The third week that he hadn't gained anything she suggested I pump before feeding him and give him the pumped milk after feeding him if he'd take it. She actually said "Don't touch any formula!"

He put on 9 oz in one week and since then has been doing good (no more pumping to supplement) but he is just a slow gainer.

Thanks for all the replies... He was having about 5-6 "normal, quarter size" dirty diapers per day, but starting on Saturday he started having 1 or 2 HUGE dirty diapers per day, so the same amount, just in 1 or 2 diapers instead. And I was Group B positive, so I did receive a bag IV fluids during labor. Both of my other kids were always on the smaller side/gained slowly too and they were both FF after I was told to supplement because of slow weight gain... even after starting formula they are/were always on the lower end of the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*knv0284 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies... He was having about 5-6 "normal, quarter size" dirty diapers per day, but starting on Saturday he started having 1 or 2 HUGE dirty diapers per day, so the same amount, just in 1 or 2 diapers instead. And I was Group B positive, so I did receive a bag IV fluids during labor. Both of my other kids were always on the smaller side/gained slowly too and they were both FF after I was told to supplement because of slow weight gain... even after starting formula they are/were always on the lower end of the scale.
    It sounds like you already know your baby is okay. Go with your instincts.