Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: just need to vent

Angry just need to vent

So my mom-in-law in stays with us to help out with my son (8 months old) while I got to work.
    Yesterday I had about 25 oz of milk in the fridge when I left for work and when i came back, it was all gone!!!! My mom-in-law claims that my son drank it all, along with his 3 meals of solid food. That is shocking because sually he takes like 16 oz with his 3 meals, in an 8 hr period, and that is on a good day. He is not a good eater (too distracted and curious to eat) and has to be force fed most times.
    I'm very upset. How does a kid go from 16 oz to 25??? What happened to the milk. I pump 4 times a day to make the 16 oz. I had some extra from the weekend and was hoping ot add it to my freezer stash. which is also almost gone, thanks to my mil!
    I'm afraid that if I tell her too much, she might strave my son to save the milk. She is an extremes person - meaning its always too much or too little. With her there is no moderation.
    Still wondering what happened to the extra milk!! Was it thrown away? spilled? Very upset, and need to vent.

Default Re: just need to vent

So sorry, Mama. Hopefully your baby just had a hungry day. Would it help to send the milk in smaller bottles? That way your MIL wouldn't feel the need to get the baby to finish a huge bottle, or feel like she had to throw away an unfinished bottle...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

well, you could give her some information on the amount that breastfed babies are supposed to eat - if he did eat that much, it's way too much milk in an 8 hour period. It's usually recommended that baby eats between 1 and 1.5 ounces per hour you're away - so actually even the 16 ounces your guy normally eats is quite a bit, especially with solids in addition.

Here is a good link to how much expressed milk your baby needs
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I use 2.5 oz bottles to store the milk in.

So sorry! It can be very frustrating. Maybe fix his bottles for the day and then hide the rest of the milk she won't use it all? I suspect sometimes that my dcp throws away the ounce or two that is left in the bottom of Gavyn's bottles. I send 2 6oz bottles and its all gone after a 10 hour period (I usually go nurse at lunch).

Hope things get better soon! Its stressful enough going back to work, you shouldn't have to worry about this too!
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10

I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Thanks for the support. That is what I was looking for, a shoulder to cry on and somewhere to vent my frustration. I will fix his bottles for the day and hide the rest of the milk. That is a good suggestion. Thank you for listening.

I'd be pissed too! Milk is way too precious!

Can you "hide" the extra milk somewhere in your fridge? Make sure that your MIL has enough to get through the day, and then put the extra in a bag or something, where she won't be tempted to use it / accidentally spill it.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

AAAHHH! I'm mad for you!
    I'm Rebecca; the local fish out of water in small town Alabama
    DS Duglen born Jan 2011 & breastfed for 16 months - never tasted formula
    DD Debra born Dec 2012; my NATURAL girl & boob lover

I wouldn't assume foul play. Why would you? If I was your MIL I'd be pretty insulted. You trust me to watch your kid but you don't believe me when I tell you I fed him? Why would she lie about it? It is too much milk. But DCP do that All.The.Time. So I'd educate her. Without suspecting her of foul play.

Way too lazy for formula