Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: annoyed!

Default annoyed!

DD is 4 months old. Today she spent the whole day with my husband's aunt. Normally, this aunt only watches her for a few hours twice a week, but she's out of school for the summer, so she's our summer babysitter. She's great with DD and I know she wouldn't do anything we didn't want her to.

She told DH when he picked up DD that DD is ready for food since she ate two bottles in a row today. DH is completely convinced that she's ready for food and we should get some rice cereal TO PUT IN HER BOTTLE as filler.

I told DH that DD isn't showing any signs of being ready for food (I've checked the Kellymom site). Just to prove my point, I put a little bit of carrot puree on her tongue this evening--she was completely uninterested. I have no desire to get rice cereal, give her rice cereal and I'm most certainly not putting it in a bottle. DH's thought is 6 oz of BM with rice cereal filler is more filling than 12 oz of BM and that's what she needs

I think DD just chugged two bottles today because she was hungry and she was at a new place for a longer time than she was used to. I think it was just comfort feeding, if that's even possible.

It seems like everyone we know is pushing for starting on solids because DD has reached the "magic" 4 month mark. Any words of wisdom I can impart on DH and other family members? I know I know what's best. I want to make sure they do too!

Default Re: annoyed!

Most don't start solids until 6 months:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...6-reasons-wait

Rice cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard:
    http://baby.families.com/blog/5-reas...r-babys-bottle

You're right, they're wrong. You need to gently coach your Aunt to ask you about how you plan to parent rather than suggesting her own insights. It sounds like her information is sorely outdated.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

babies are ready for solid foods when they can call up the local pizza delivery by themselves. just joking. but babies have a greater success with solid foods when they sit up unassisted , can use their fore finger and thumb to grasp ,and when they do not need to have food mushy to a pulp.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

[QUOTE=@llli*esthervegan;1163026]babies are ready for solid foods when they can call up the local pizza delivery by themselves.

Ha! That's the funniest thing I've heard all day!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*chemistrymommy View Post
    I told DH that DD isn't showing any signs of being ready for food (I've checked the Kellymom site). Just to prove my point, I put a little bit of carrot puree on her tongue this evening--she was completely uninterested.
    What did DH say after you showed him the article? Or after you proved that she wasn't interested or ready?
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

and

Putting rice cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard. Plus, rice cereal is nothing but starch and sugar, so there's no nutritional value.
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

once I told DH that she really wasn't ready, he understood. I know where he's coming from--his aunt has raised a child, this is our first. We're both still figuring out when to take advice and when our instincts are right.

Unless I bring food to his aunt's house, she's not going to feed the baby food. TOday when I drop DD off, I'll just tell her that 6 months is the recommended age to start and she's just not ready.

The fact that DD was there for the whole day (not just a few hours) and she ate more than his aunt was used to led to the assumption that she needs food.

I was a little frustrated last night, so thank you for letting me vent and thank you for the advice!

My daycare has been sort-of gently hinting that M is ready for solids. She's 5.5 mos old. I tried some homemade sweet potatoes - not only did she make a horrible face, she gagged like crazy.

You'll know when your baby is ready.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*chemistrymommy View Post
    once I told DH that she really wasn't ready, he understood. I know where he's coming from--his aunt has raised a child, this is our first. We're both still figuring out when to take advice and when our instincts are right.

Unless I bring food to his aunt's house, she's not going to feed the baby food. TOday when I drop DD off, I'll just tell her that 6 months is the recommended age to start and she's just not ready.

The fact that DD was there for the whole day (not just a few hours) and she ate more than his aunt was used to led to the assumption that she needs food.

I was a little frustrated last night, so thank you for letting me vent and thank you for the advice!
    I'm glad everyone is on the same page!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Weaned @ 15 months

and