Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Prolactin level

Default Prolactin level

So I had my prolactin level checked and it is 31. My son is 11 weeks old, I nurse on demand 24 hrs. a day, we cosleep, he's gaining weight, however at the low range of normal. We always suspected low supply, but couldn't really confirm it. Does anyone know why my prolactin is so low or what can I do about it? Normal prolactin for a lactating women is over 100. Today I had to supplememnt frozen breastmilk my poor son sucked for over an hour....no let down. I tried switching sides and no luck, so I used the sns to supplement. Help.....what is going on? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Prolactin level

Have your thyroid checked as well. It's very common to bottom out after a birth. My supply went from drenching breast pads several times a day to pumping less than an ounce in less than 48 hours after my dd was born, yet previously I had pumped for twins, for 17 months. Hormones are nasty creatures. Hope things improve for you soon!

Tara

have you tried any of the mother's milk herbal teas? I'm not sure how much or how little of a difference it makes, but it may be worth a try in conjunction with other recommendations you may get from this board.

Good luck!
    *MM*
    Born Free, Breastfed & Cloth Diapered
    Miss Melanie Elyse
    5/29/11 @ 5:47pm
    7lbs-4oz & 19 inches

OP, did your doctor mention anything about insufficient glandular tissue? A friend of mine has that, and her prolactin levels have never been very good...It's a negative feedback loop. The tissue isn't there to respond, so the lack of response shuts off prolactin production.

She did have a good response when she saw a chiropractor who worked an area that influences the pituitary (I don't understand what area that would be though...). I suggested domperidone.

Have you checked out the low milk supply forum on this board? Scroll down the page a bit and see if anything there strikes a chord for you
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you ladies for you reply, my thyroid is normal. I already tried the teas, more milk plus fenugreek, blessed thistle alfafa and fish oil. Let's just say....it's been a rocky road. I'm in Calif. and I e-mailed Dr. jack newman in Canada about my prolactin level and he said it wasn't important at this stage, so I don't know what to make of it. I will try Domperodone next....that's my last hope. We shall see. Thank you.

Carol

Mama, are you taking any other medications that could affect your supply/prolactin level? I took hormonal birth control (mini-pill) after my first child was born and it really affected my supply... even after I stopped taking the pill my supply never did fully recover. I would second Susan's suggestion for trying domperidone... it's the only thing that helped me and kept me going when I was nursing my daughter. But I will say... I had a better start when I began nursing my second child, and never did need any dom to keep it going... and we are still nursing at 20 months.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.