Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night time nursing

Default Night time nursing

My LO is 1 1/2 weeks old. He wakes every 3-4 hours at night to nurse but only nurses on one side before he is out like a light again. My breasts do not get engorged or full feeling during the 6-7 hour stretch of not nursing on each particular side. He nurses a lot during the day but does fall asleep quickly after nursing. During the day I will wake him every 2 hours to nurse. He has about 5-6 wet diapers and 3-6 small quarter sized stools everyday. Should I be trying to make him nurse on both sides at night?

Default Re: Night time nursing

My son always only ate on one side, and would go around 4 hours between feedings at night at that age (he is 9 weeks now). I actually never felt full either, but I started pumping the other side at the last feeding before he went down for the night (around 11:30), then the night feeding (around 4am) and again at the first morning feeding (around 8am). I did this to build my stash because my mother will be watching him when I return to school in the fall. I now only pump at the last feeding and the 4 am one (which is now usually closer to 5am). Do you know if he is gaining weight? Usually your body will produce what he needs ^__^

I believe he's gaining weight. Our next dr appt. is Wednesday. I hope he's gaining ok. I need to start pumping too.

If baby is gaining weight well, having plenty of wet diapers during the day and producing the correct color of stools when he defecates, he's doing well. If you don't have a scale, don't worry about it. Just watch wets and poops.

Don't start pumping unless you have to. Pumping when it's not needed in the early weeks, when your supply is still trying to even out, can create a situation of oversupply with its attendant issues. Besides, it's more work for YOU. If you are not going back to work, you don't have to pump. If you are going back to work, starting to pump a week or two before going back is all you need to do. Besides, for some reason, when moms start to pump, many babies start getting bottles, and at 1.5 weeks of age, it's too soon to start messing with bottles.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

We started giving the bottles a little past three weeks, my son has done really well with the switch between breast and bottle. He only gets a bottle before bed time (which is when I pump). I did pump in the early weeks though and didn't have supply issues, but it might be because my son had a posterior tongue tie which wasn't diagnosed until 5 weeks, so he probably wasn't transferring as much as he should have.

I also woke my son up to nurse at night (around every 3 hours too). He only ate on one side in the beginning, when he was just weeks old. Sometimes after burping him he would start rooting again and I would feed him on the other breast. Otherwise, to this day (he is now 2 months old), he mostly nurses on one side at night.

You can offer him the other breast at night, but as long as he is nursing well during the day (as noted by your post), I wouldn't worry. He is still very young, he might change his habits and want to nurse on both sides when he grows older - maybe during growth spurts? Or, he might go back to sleep and wake an hour or so later and want to nurse on the other side.

I want to pump so that I have a supply in case I leave for more than expected. I plan to stay home but haven't let my employer know yet. Hopefully there won't be a problem with me not coming back to work after my FMLA.
    Thanks for the reassurance. He is very young, sleepy and sweet. He can comfort nurse non-stop during the day...if I let him. I usually don't mind him comfort nursing, unless I have to clean or cook dinner, then I'll let him nap either in my sling, the swing, or in my arms.
    How much should a newborn gain? At birth he was 7lbs 14oz. At his appt (5 days) he was 7lbs 2oz. Wednesday's appt will be about 9 days after his last weigh in.

I had no trouble when I decided halfway through my FMLA that I wasn't coming back. I simply went to the office, turned in my car and phone and fax machine and left a note of resignation. They were apparently used to that happening, honestly. Many women think they will be going back to work and then simply don't. It's hard to tell what you are going to want to do until you have had the baby.

It's fine to want to have some milk stored for when mom ducks out to the store or whatever for a couple hours. But at 1.5 weeks of age, it's still too young for any pumping. At this point, just nurse. Most moms wait until 4-6 weeks to try a bottle or alternative feeding methods, and that's a better time to also try pumping. Your supply is a little more stable at that point and won't respond with a total oversupply when you pump a little extra.

Regarding weight gain:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ight-gain.html
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I knew I wanted to stay home after I had my son but if I hadn't returned to work I would have had to pay back the money I got while on maternity leave. Luckily I got fired 3 months after I returned to work.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold