Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it true that BF babies have a "weaker" gut?

Default Is it true that BF babies have a "weaker" gut?

So, Clea developed a nasty UTI for which they gave her an antibiotic (Keflex) that gave her a really bad case of diarrhea - over 12 diarrhea diapers in less than 20 hours - in fact, she had 8 of them from 10 am to 2:30 pm and to the point where it was running down her legs and whatnot

I called the pedi and asked for a different antibiotic. In talking with one of the doctors (not Clea's main pedi, who I adore), she said that sometimes BF babies are more sensitive to certain medicines/antibiotics because their guts are so "pure" and therefore "weaker" and that may be why she's so sensitive and thus having the reaction.

Really? I would think that being BF would allow her to have more immunities.

In general, this practice is hard-core BF supportive. The main doctor speaks at LLL conferences and he is a tireless supporter of our now extended nursing. I just thought this was odd.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Default Re: Is it true that BF babies have a "weaker" gut?

That is really goofy. That makes NO sense.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Goofy. You might enjoy this article: http://www.americanscientist.org/iss...od-allergies/1
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't really know what that could mean. Maybe that it's less natural not to have a reaction to it?

well that just doesnt sound accurate at all, now under soem otehr circumstances I would do some research but I must shamefully admit that Im in my early twenties and at 9:30 in my time zone Im already dozing off, oh blessed motherhood... keep me posted, cause it doesnt sound right

I've never heard that. Shoot, antibiotics totally mess up MY digestive system, that's one reason I really, really try to avoid them (that is, it's not on principle! it's because they make me sick!). So does that mean I have a weak gut too? Antibiotics just mess with your stomach.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Huh. Never heard that one before. I've had lots of docs say "good!" for continuing to bf because of all the yummy immunities and good nutrition child is getting.

IMO they SHOULD tell you to be giving your LO probiotics any time LO (or you while you are breastfeeding) need to be on abx.

Can't take them at the same time - so if abx 2 times a day (morning & night), then take probiotics mid-day. If abx 1 time a day - do probiotics at the opposite time (such as abx in the morning & probiotics at night).

One thing that WILL happen - if your older baby or toddler is sick and not eating much and has gone from eating solids to being exclusively or mostly breastfed again, the child's poops will return to being like baby breastmilk poops. Which makes sense if the child is mostly / only "eating" breastmilk.

Hope she's feeling better!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Whenever a medical professional tells me something I'm dubious about... like BF babies having a weaker gut... I say "Show me the research!" Often I have found its just personal opinion, not medical "fact". (I like "Google Scholar" to find or not find about about what have been published in researcher journals).
    Son #1 Born Winter 2004 (BF/FF out of ignornance, nursed for 3 years)
    Son #2 Born Fall 2009 (EBF thanks to LLL!!!)

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

Best book ever: Gabrielle Palmer's "The Politics of Breastfeeding, when breasts are bad for business"

This reminds me of a friend who, after I told him how important breastfeeding DD is to me, *one* of the reasons being that it gives her antibodies to find off illnesses when her immune system is still developing, said well doesn't that mean it will take LONGER for her immune system to mature because it becomes dependent on the support from breast milk... that line of thinking. I don't remember what I said at the time, probably nothing too convincing, because I had never thought of it that way . What would you have said?

sorry OP I hope your LO will feel better very soon!

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*irismom View Post
    This reminds me of a friend who, after I told him how important breastfeeding DD is to me, *one* of the reasons being that it gives her antibodies to find off illnesses when her immune system is still developing, said well doesn't that mean it will take LONGER for her immune system to mature because it becomes dependent on the support from breast milk... that line of thinking. I don't remember what I said at the time, probably nothing too convincing, because I had never thought of it that way . What would you have said?
    I'm no scientist or doctor, but breastmilk contains probiotics and prebiotics that help create good flora in your baby's gut, and scientists are learning that good flora is crucial for a good immune system. I think my dad was telling me about a recent study that found that humans have more bacteria in them than actual body cells?!!! (Don't quote me on the details, I am a liberal arts sort. ) We have symbiotic relationships with these bacteria, and they actually keep us healthy. Breastmilk is "alive" and packed with a variety of immune-promoting ingredients. Babies are not "dependent" on us for their immunities in the way your friend suggested - rather, breastmilk helps build their immune system from the ground up.

ETA, and off-topic, I just saw a commercial for Gerber Good Start where they claimed that it "harnesses the science of breastmilk" and I've been grumbling all evening.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; June 11th, 2011 at 11:03 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.