Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP - weaning but not by choice

Default Re: HELP - weaning but not by choice

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    you have had a hard road and are doing an amazing job. Not every breastfeeding "success story" is ebf for a full year. Some of us need to change how we define success and I know from experience how difficult that is.
    So true!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm so sorry, mama. One idea might be to check out a group on Facebook called Eats on Feets. There's another one like it, but I forget the name. Basically it's an informal milk sharing group mama-to-mama. Obviously, you would need to feel comfortable supplementing in this fashion. But another Mama's breastmilk beats formula - if you feel ok with it. I had the opportunity to donate +100 oz to another mama and baby. It was my freezer stash I couldn't use. I was real glad to put it to good use, and I'd hope another mama would feel the same about helping you if you decided to go down that road or explore it at all.

Have you also tried power pumping? I can't grab a link on it from my phone. But you basically pumping for 10 min rest for 10. And continue like this for an hour. It mimics a baby in a growth spurt thus asking your body to ramp up production.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Changing how I define success would help a LOT. I feel like I'm failing because that nasty "F-thing" has crossed her lips. That's been my biggest hangup - OMG I am giving my baby <gasp> FORMULA! How DARE I do such a horrible and abusive thing!?

I never considered for 2 seconds when we made the decision to bf that I may not be ABLE to do it for a whole year.

Yes, Christine, I have power pumped. In fact, one of my 5-7 pumps of the day is a power pump - either on the way home from work or on the way to work. I've been doing that for about 4 weeks now and have seen no increase - in fact, I'm down more this week from last week overall. I was doing a solid 8-9 oz last week. I'm just over 6 today and was 5 yesterday and was just at 6 since Sunday. <sigh> I just don't know what is going "wrong."

I figure since I have no choice on the formula thing, I can give her the best. I've been doing the Similac organic ready to feed. I don't know what's best for her, but she seems to like it "OK" and doesn't have any real spit up or gas with it.

I have already nursed her 2x since we've been home for work - and she's still really clingy. I ended up having to wear her to get dinner done. Glad I have a Baby K'Tan. I LOVE that thing. It's the only way I can get anything done when she's clingy.

We're getting ready to play in the bath and then head to bed soon.... I haven't cried tonight - that's progress. I haven't even really yelled at DH much. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*drenee73 View Post
    Changing how I define success would help a LOT. I feel like I'm failing because that nasty "F-thing" has crossed her lips. That's been my biggest hangup - OMG I am giving my baby <gasp> FORMULA! How DARE I do such a horrible and abusive thing!?

I never considered for 2 seconds when we made the decision to bf that I may not be ABLE to do it for a whole year.
    Oh boy, been there done that and cried the buckets and buckets of tears that come with it. I think that one of the thing that we as people who understand the importance of breast feeding do that we shouldnt is make people feel like if a baby gets formula the mother has failed as a breast feeding mother. Which is ridiculous. You know what, my first got more calories from formula than from breastmilk. But he was also nursed every.single.feeding that we were together until he was 10.5 months. And nursed all through the night until he was 11 months (even though there was no milk for at least a month of that. He was breastfed and I was a breastfeeding mother. Your baby is breastfed

Could you be getting a period? That always knocked my supply down.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

You know Durham, I could be Aunt Flo's return. I had a little spotting around 4 months, but never another drop since then. It's probably that time, huh? I hate her - it's been nice to be free of her little pesky ways..... So if that's all it is, will the milk come back once I get it over with? LOL (Still grasping for the magic cure!)

I hear ya about the bfing thing. I'm proud that I've made it as far as I have - and she had maybe 6 oz of formula in her life before she was 8 months. Now she's been getting about 6-8oz a day. That's still not bad in the grand scheme of things - but I still feel guilty as can be. I guess maybe the stress of making enough milk was tearing me up more than I thought. I'm going to go the next week feeding when she wants and pumping at least 5x a day. I'll see if the stress reduction helps too. Thank goodness I like oatmeal (Thank you McD's for showing me how to make it!)

Oh, and as for not being depressed anymore - someone asked if I was back to normal - YES - FINALLY. I have been off for about 3 weeks and I think the last couple of days I feel back to my old self. But when they say Reglan causes depression - they are NOT kidding. If you've ever even kinda MAYBE had some depression, I don't think it's for you. I was a basket case for about 2.5 weeks. I didn't realize that's what it was either.... <sigh>

as far as I am concerned Reglan is the enemy and should be withdrawn. I cannot image what harm they think Domeperdone will do that is worse than Reglan. And HCPs should think a million times before prescribing it
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.