Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with Increasing Milk Supply

Default Help with Increasing Milk Supply

So, I've been taking Fenugreek Seed Pills 3x/3x a day. I've been drinking a lot of oatmeal water. Baby will be 2 weeks old on Wednesday. But whenever I feed baby he does not seem satisfied at the end of the feeding and will be very active because he is not satisfied. Ever since the hospital I have been supplementing with formula. Usually he eats .5 - 1oz after nursing of formula. And when I do give him formula he will not wake up for more food until 3-4 hours later.

I've pumped a few times and usually can only pump 1.5-2oz.

I've tried not to give him formula today and baby has been eating every 1-2 hours but he still does not seem satisfied after every feeding because he still looks for the breast when he is done feeding.

I pumped 1 hour after I fed him and was only able to pump .5oz.

I'd appreciate some suggestions as to how I can increase my supply. Does pumping really help with an increase in supply? and how often or when should I pump?

I really want to be able to exclusively breastfeed with him and want to eventually stop supplementing with the formula.

Default Re: Help with Increasing Milk Supply

Why do you believe your supply is not sufficient? it is normal for a bf baby to make cues to eat a lot and want to suck all the time. Remember, the baby is what tells your body to make milk and how much. the baby needs to be at the breast A LOT to establish your supply. Many new moms mistake the need to be at the breast for not being satisfied/not having enough milk.

There is no need to pump or give formula, allow the baby to nurse on demand and your body will respond by making the milk. The idea of feeding on a schedule is NOT appropriate for breastfed babies.

pumping in no way indicates how much milk you are producing or what the baby is getting.

You want to ask these questions:

how many diapers a day?
    is weight gain ok?
    is the baby lethargic? (i dont mean sleepy, I mean dehydrated and not able to function properly)

How old is the baby and how much formula are you giving? You can use this link to wean off the formula.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

let us know the answers to those questions...