Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: infant in car accident 2 months ago restarting nursing

Default infant in car accident 2 months ago restarting nursing

on may 11 ny daughter and i were in a car accident! she has a brain injury. we just passed the swallow eval and they have allowed me to start breast feeding again i have kept a milk supply of 1.5 ounces every three hours pumping. the dr.s wont allow me any perscriptions due to they will cross the blood/brian barrier. i was wondering what you guys would suggest me to use herb wise or any other suggestions to increase my supply so i can exclusively breastfeed my daughter again

Default Re: infant in car accident 2 months ago restarting nursing

im am limited to 10 minutes nursing time every 3 hours im in a rehab facility

How horrible! I'm so sorry. I hope you both feel well soon.

My suggestion would be to pump as often as possible. Some mothers have had luck with Fenugreek, although I haven't tried it.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I can't imagine what you're going through. You're very dedicated to your daughter to continue to try nursing and pumping. You can rest assured that you're giving her the best possible nutrition by giving her your milk.

I have personally had good results with fenugreek. You need to take it until you smell like maple syrup. Pump as often as you can, even if it's only for 2 minutes and then pump for an additional two minutes after you see the last drop of milk. Oatmeal and almonds can also help increase your milk supply as well as the teas that are geared toward higher milk production.

I wish you the best of luck and for a quick recovery for both you and your daughter. My thoughts are with you.

Prescriptions and herbs are useful, but they won't get you half as far as more frequent pumping will. The key to better supply is not a pill or a drug- it's frequent and complete removal of milk from the breast. Since you're prohibited from taking drugs, i hope that will come as an encouraging thought! This link may help: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

Good luck mama! It sounds like you are I some trying circumstances, and I hope everything will be okay for you and your baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"