Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15 mo old still night nursing once

Default 15 mo old still night nursing once

My LO is still nursing once in the middle of the night. Usually about 4-5 in the morning and then he is perfectly happy to go back to sleep until 8. (He goes to bed around 8 in the evening).
    I'm really looking forward to an uninterrupted night of sleep I'm not sure if he really needs it at this time, or if it is just a habit by now, I think it might be the latter? Any ideas on how to gently teach him to just sleep through that 4 AM nursing?

And so that I don't have to ask twice - he is absolutely not interested in drinking any other milk then mine, and I think it would be a good idea for him to start taking at least a little bit of goat or cow or almond milk perhaps. But he just spits it out (he drinks water just fine, and on the rare occasions he gets juice he drinks that right up as well. Does anyone have any advice regarding this?
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

Default Re: 15 mo old still night nursing once

hi, are you really tired doing the one feed? IMO that is great ONLY one feed! I would love for my ds to just wake the once n then go back til that time.

just wondering why you think it is necessary for him to start taking other milk?

Yes, it may be habit, or it may be that he does wake up thirsty at that time. He may well night wean all on his own. sorry, no weaning feedback - just wanted to say i think one night waking is fantastic at that age. some can wake up to 8 times or more!!

Well, it has been 15 months of interrupted sleep... and it was more like 3-4 times a night for a rather long time.
    Are there really toddlers that wake up 8 times a night? seriously? poor mommies...

Well, for the other milks, he does need to start eating more then just the breastmilk, and I think other milk is a good thing for him to consume He is not a huge huge fan of food to begin with - he tries everything, but consumes very little amounts...
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

My son is 33 months old and still likes to do a feeding sometime between 4-6 am and then right back to sleep. I think me still nursing him actaully helps me get more sleep because we are both able to go right back to sleep. I work nights so when I work he can sleep through the night and sometimes he'll sleep with his sisters so he can sleep through the night but if I am right there next to him that is actually his favorite and most importance nursing sometimes that's the only time he still does nurse.
    I tried for a long time time to get my son to drink whole milk but he never took it well and the rest of the family drinks skim so I finally stopped buying it. Now he will occasionally drink milk when daddy has a big glass so he is starting to like it. It can be a gradual thing and you don't have to push it. he is still getting great nutrition from your breast milk.
    Did this for 9months with Kailey and Hailey
    who are now 8.

weaned Dane somewhere around 3.5 no longer he likes to sleep with his sisters He's now 5

Now I am , , My baby Cruz who is almost 6 months and my last baby

That 4-6 am feed was the last one my son gave up before he weaned. It really is a great feed, it turns out, because now he won't sleep in. My daughter nurses back to sleep at that time too, and sleeps til around 8 or 9. She wakes at least 4 times a night to nurse right now. 18 months old. She wakes more when I've been at work. Hang in there, Mama!
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

To have only one nursing at night you are lucky!! DD is 20 months and wakes up at least 3 or 4 times a night, sometimes once every hour or two! (that's why we co sleep!) Have you tried giving water in a sippy cup or even a glass?
    Ayna ~ born 10/22/09
    Still and despite the controversy of society!

I agree with all the other posters -- i'm pretty happy when my 18mo only wakes up once a night. Not to belittle your desire for uninterrupted sleep -- totally legit. I dream of that too. Actually, I guess I'm able to be okay with it because i would probably wake up anyway whether or not he did.

Hang in there.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Yeah my 23 mo old nurses at least 3 times a night, usually more. If you need to get rid of that last session it helps to have someone else like your husband help out and pat the baby back to sleep or whatever. If DD drives me crazy switching sides 6x in an hour I pass her off to my husband and he takes her.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

My daughter was the same way, normally only waking once after she turned a year, sometimes 2x. Dh took over the night time parenting for a couple of nights. She was upset at first because she never saw him in the middle of the night, but after her initial anger, she would let him sooth her. It literally was 2 nights, the first night I think she was up twice, it did take him awhile to settle her the first time. The second night she woke up once and let him pat her back without fuss, and then she just started sleeping through most nights.

If he is ready to give up the feed, it should come with little resistance from him. If he's not ready, you'll know.

Eta~ I should ask how often he is nursing during the day first. if he is not nursing often and does not have a lot of solid food intake, then he would either need to eat more during the day to make up for it, or you'll have to keep that feeding.

Shoot, my 2.5 year old has been weaned for some months -- he last nursed Thanksgiving Day 2010 -- and still wakes at night. I wish he would nurse back down. We would all get more sleep!

If you are serious about dropping the last nursing, the easiest way to do it is have Daddy take over the parenting through the waking. It may take some time -- that kid was furious about Daddy taking care of him at night instead of Mommy (even though I had no milk, due to a pregnancy) -- but it did work out in the long run, with no CIO.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!