Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Painful nipples again at 4months!

Unhappy Help! Painful nipples again at 4months!

Hi! I hope someone has some great advice for me! I am nursing my fourth child, a boy, my other 3 are girls. Nursing has been painful off and on the entire 4 months. I had a consultation with my lactation consultant at 7 weeks and she said he was latching on fine, probably just irritating my skin because he moves a lot, pulls, etc. I have tried treating for thrush and I feel better but I don't know if that is the actual problem or just a coincidence. We have no visible signs of thrush except that my nipples are bright pink off and on, along with painful latch-on, etc. I really don't want to wean yet but, I am getting very discouraged. He also has always been very gassy, its better now that he is a little older, but he does not like formula. Any advice out there!!

Thanks!
    LaureninAL

Default Re: Help! Painful nipples again at 4months!

When My Daughter was this age, I had the same problem and it was very frustrating!! I was just about ready to give up and just pump and feed her from a bottle, thank god I didn't! What eventually worked for me was our 6th lactation consultant! After the meeting with her, I decided to take everything each one (LC) had told me and use it all, I still don't know what the problem was or how it was fixed, But Things did get better, my advice is to keep trying, keep seeing people and constantly try everything you've been told (But don't overwhelm yourself).

Good luck.

Default Re: Help! Painful nipples again at 4months!

It could be the position that you are nursing from. My sonhas really taken to bothof us lying side by side....it really helped me because my nipples didn't hurt when he nursed this way! try changing positions for a while so your baby isn't always putting the same pressure in teh same spots that are sore already!