Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Screaming fits at night...

Default Screaming fits at night...

For a few weeks now, my 4 month old has been crying/screaming at around 10 at night just before she falls asleep. It lasts anywhere from 5-20 min. It's like she goes from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds. I've tried burping her, nursing her, giving her the pacifier, rocking her, singing, all to no avail. I think she may be overtired? She usually takes about 3-4 naps during the day that last 20-45 min. each. She has been teething for at least a month (none have come through yet). Thought about giving her tylenol. We give her frozen teething toys throughout the day and she has never acted like this during the day. Anyone been here before? TIA!
    ~Tiffany~

Truly blessed by God
    Wife to Will
    First Time Mom to C 2/18/11
    Made it 6 Mos. EBF Now enjoying BLS
    My baby is a year old now!

Default Re: Screaming fits at night...

teething or overstimulaztion (sp?) may be options, but what about ear infection? Have you had her ears checked?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

It definitely could be too much stimulation, but then she seems to be more fussy and possibly bored during the day if she is in the house all day. I will get her ears checked if the crying continues tonight.Thank you!
    ~Tiffany~

Truly blessed by God
    Wife to Will

A couple more things you can try- taking her outside and giving her a bath. If the issue is just pre-sleep fussiness, those two things can really change a baby's attitude. It's like you trip a little sensory switch and all of a sudden the baby forgets to fuss.

Thanks! We gave her a bath closer to the time she usually falls asleep. We also played with her in the living room until she started showing signs of tiredness (not sure if that's a word), like rubbing her eyes. She fell asleep within 5 minutes with minimal fuss.
    ~Tiffany~

Truly blessed by God
    Wife to Will

The short naps stand out to me. On days where my babies have gotten short naps like that, there's a screaming fit at bedtime unless we take pre-emptive steps like you did, with a nap and some gentle play very close to bedtime. If you can get her to extend her naps to a bit longer, that may help.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you! She has taken 3 naps so far today totaling almost 2 hours. Any tips for what has worked for you with extending naps? She usually naps longer if I lie with her or if she is in her sling. She really enjoys napping with her Papa in his hammock, but the heat concerns me. It is quite shady, breezy, and cooler than anywhere else outside however. I think I may try the swing again and see if she will stay in it longer once she is in deep sleep as I would like to be able to get more things done around the house if possible.
    ~Tiffany~

Truly blessed by God
    Wife to Will

My kids both napped in the swing for months and months. My first until she was nearly a year old. Both my kids have also napped in the stroller- they'll conk out while I'm taking them for a walk, and then stay asleep in there for a long time after I come home.

Babywearing is what worked for me. Or taking a nap myself or nursing baby down and gently rolling away. Come back in a few minutes and nurse baby again when they stirred.

Gosh, I miss nursing just for that reason It was a lot easier to get a breastfed baby back to sleep than this current baby.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you again and sorry for your current troubles.
    ~Tiffany~

Truly blessed by God
    Wife to Will