Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when to start ect. ect.

Default when to start ect. ect.

Ok where to sart this is my first time bfing and gonna do solids i know i messed up with my son with the solids and cereal bottles and ff him. I regret not bf him now. But cant go back in time.
    So my ?s are when do you start introducing solids. I know i don't want to start till the middle of december sometime dd will be 6 1/2 months by then and i have learned from previous posts to bf first then give solids but which ones do you start on and how much is it a few bites half of one of the little jars or what i am confused bout all of the solid stuff and all, so i am trying to find out as much as i can before i start her on them. I have even considered not giving her any solids till she is 12 months and all but my MIL keeps tellin gme that she is old enough and we are going there for christmas and i am afraid if i am not giving her solids at that time that she is gonna give her people food without permission. so any info will help me thank you in advance.

Default Re: when to start ect. ect.

well I think it depends on the child. With my second son I had to start him on solids at 2 months because milk just wasn't satisfying his hunger. He would cry and want more milk only to throw it up. Just feed her until she gets hungry. Start her on the size 1 jars and give her about half and see if she's still hungry, if she is, continue til shel's full.

Here is some information on child led approach to solids. We are just starting it at 6 1/2 months. I have found it much easier than I thought. Just read this article and think about it. Some people puree foods, but you really don't have to.

http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html

If you have any more questions about it, lots of people will have advice for you on what to start with. We started with banana.

Don't worry and just have fun with it. There is no need for food now, but it is good for baby to experiment and play.

Thanks for your suggestions

This seems to be a controversial topic. My dh is four months and even my dh has given solids against my wishes. If it does happen that someone gives your dd some people food, it's not the end of the world, just remember you don't have to start her on solids officially until you both are ready.

Smile Re: when to start ect. ect.

My first 3 children all weaned from me and onto formula and solid food very early.
    I did not believe my milk would satisfy my dd until she was 6 months old. BUT guess what, once i realised what was normal for a bf baby I had no problem. SHe was able to sit and hold her own food at around 6 months and she went straight onto 'proper' food - not baby mush. I steamed vegetables in chunky chip (sorry french fries) shape and she was able to hold them and feed them herself. I used carrots, potatoes, sweat potato etc. Broccoli florets are also good because they tend to collapse into the mouth. She would not touch 'baby food' and has been very easy to feed.
    I was initially worried about her choking but once baby has lost the reflex which takes food from the front of their mouth to the back (at around 6 months) , a baby takes just the right amount of food for the size of their own mouth.
    Good luck
    Amanda

thanks she is just so interested in what we eat she wants it like she mimics us dh says to do what i want when i am ready he says he will even stand behind my decision if i want to ebf for the first 12 months. Deep down i want to do that but am not so sure how mil would take it she swears dd isnt getting enough.

Sometimes as much as we want to EBF for the first 12 months, babies are usually ready earlier than that. Not to say that ALL babies are... BUT if your DD is watching you eat and mimicing, I would give her something.. A chunk of apple or something that's a finger food while you eat. My DS only gets solids when we eat, because otherwise, he screams because we're eating and he's not... I don't think it has anything to do with being hungry, per se.. But more with 'I want to do what my mommy/daddy is doing'.

And as for MIL... IGNORE her... DD is YOUR child so you make the decisions! My own mother didn't support my waiting until DS was at least 6 months old and still doesn't support the fact that he doesn't get meals every day or pureed baby food. He eats chunks of food while we eat...

Good luck and whatever you decide to do, just have fun with it! Breastmilk or formula is the main sourse of nutrition for the first 12 months of life. Introducing solids helps a baby learn flavors, textures as well as hand-eye coordination (when they self-feed) but isn't for the nutrition!

Have fun!!

Speaking of EBF for the first 12 months.... Has anyone else out there waited to start solids until 9-12 months? If so, have you run into any issues w/ baby not wanting to eat? Is there such a thing as waiting too long to start? I've been following a lot of these "when to start solids" threads pretty closely, as my daughter is 14 mo now and will still only barely put a cheerio or veggie puff to her tongue to taste, much less chew up! (I started a thread titled "Can you wait too late to start solids?" last week, but only got one response... looking for a little more input if anyone else out there has some! Maybe it will help blinkinmapple with her decision as well...!)

Thanks!
    Shannon

my last two kids started eating table foods someplace around 9-12 months old, My son is 5 and will eat almost anything and my dd is 3 and she eats just fine.
    Do you have food allergies in your family? or even other allergies?
    sometimes babies willl refuse to eat what bothers their tummies.
    If they are gaining fine breastmilk alone is fine! Its just the right blend for a baby of their age.