Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Milk Supply

Default Low Milk Supply

Hi,

This is my 2.5 week after c-session. I had two sugeries on the same day including c-session. I tried to feed my baby as often as I can, but I feel tired physically. I am still having low milk supply, and am taking fenugreek (3x/3 times/day). I also fed my baby with 2 oz of forumla. My baby is growing well except I felt like I don't have enough milk for my baby or I don't feed her frequently. Currently I feed her every 3-4 hours. Any suggestions of increase milk supply? I felt a little bit frustrated and don't know what to do. Also, my body is feeling very tired after the two sugeries. Any advice are welcome or anyone had low milk supply were able to build up milk supply.

Joy

Default Re: Low Milk Supply

Hi mama! My first question is the formula...why are you giving it? Why do you think you have low supply? What is baby's diaper output in a 24 hour period?

If you answer these questions we may be able to give you more specific help. Also, do you know how to nurse in the side lying position and do you have any help from husband, mom or anyone? I have to tell you, as a mother you will always be tired, you will get use to it, but it really don't take that much to lay down and nurse. You should be nursing 10-12 x per day to build supply. Supplementation will definitely result in a low supply because your body doesn't think it needs to make more milk. If you can give me some more info specifically, we can see what may help.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

with Jenna, as usual. Pease tell us more about why you think your supply is low, how much formula you're using in a 24 hour period, and any other difficulties you are experiencing!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Congratulations mama, and you certainly had an extra-special delivery day becoming a mother and have three surgeries the same day :/ Sorry you had such a rough start. No wonder you're exhausted. Have you tried laid-back nursing, or the side-lying bfing position? Both can help you get some rest while bonding with, caring for and feeding your LO.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    You should be nursing 10-12 x per day to build supply. Supplementation will definitely result in a low supply because your body doesn't think it needs to make more milk. If you can give me some more info specifically, we can see what may help.
    I agree with Jenna and Mommal, and want to highlight this--feeding every 3-4 hours is a guaranteed way to lose your supply. Your body needs more frequent stimulation of the lactation hormones. What's more concerning, your baby might not get enough milk on a regime like this. Artifical milk is harder to digest and takes longer to break down, so babies who drink formula feed less often--which may sound appealing (!) but remember too that artificial milk is linked with obesity and a host of other things that are neither good nor convenient.

Write back and tell us how many wet and soiled nappies your LO produces each day! Here's a good output:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Hi All,

Thanks for all your questions. I was trying to think about the breadsfeeding.

The reason I thought I had milk supply because I was only having 3/5 ml in the first couple of days after birth. When I pump, I can only get up to 20 ml or 1oz if it's lucky. I was always afraid the baby doesn't have enough milk, and I couldn't resist the temptation to feed my baby formual. I gave her about 60ml/2 oz of formula after breadsfeeding because she wants to eat more after my breadsfeeding. Also, I am new to breadsfeeding, I guess I was not confident that my body can produce enough milk. I was so afraid that my baby doesn't eat enough.

Just started today, I've been nurse my baby and didn't give her any forumual. So far she's not crying. Let's see. On the other side of my mind, I am starting thinking about whether my baby has enough milk or not. But she seemed like sleeping peacefully.

Like what you all said, I realized if I continue to give her formula and she's been waking up every three to four hour, my body doesn't get enough simulation. But I am afriad even my body gets enough simulation, I won't produce enough milk. Sometimes I thought people are born to have more milk supply and milk supply just come automatically. I am trying today, let's see. Hopefully my baby gets enough.

Any advice?

Joy

In addition, I always admire others who get enough breastmilk for their babies. And I was always thought I was not in that category. Please help and provide advice. I really want to breastfeeding my baby, but it's not as easy as I thought. I got discouraged when I don't pump enough milk and don't produce enough milk. Here's my schedule: I usually feed my baby on my breast first and give her formula 2oz afterward.

Joy

Btw, this is my 2.5 weeks and I was hoping to produce more milk.

Joy

It is actually very rare for a mom to be physically unable to produce sufficient milk. Usually when a mom is unable to produce enough milk, the fault is not in her body but in the way breastfeeding is being managed. Supplementing with formula, judging milk supply based on pump output, not nursing often enough- these are all things which can derail breastfeeding.

If you want to know if you are producing enough milk, you should do the following:
    1. Count diapers. A baby who is producing sufficient wet and poopy diapers in a 24 hour period is a baby who is getting enough to eat.
    2. Observe the baby. If the baby is content after nursing, that is another excellent indicator of sufficient milk supply. Poops which are yellow and seedy are another good indicator that a baby is getting enough to eat.
    3. Keep an eye on weight gain and general growth. A baby who continues to gain weight, grow longer, gain head circumference, and master developmental milestones at a normal rate is getting enough to eat. (Just be aware that growth can fluctuate from week to week and month to month.)

Since you are supplementing with 2 oz of formula after every feeding, you probably want to wean slowly from using formula. 2 oz is actually a huge amount of formula for a 3 week old baby. At that age, most breastfed babies are eating only around 2-3 oz at the breast. This link explains how to gradually decrease your use of formula until it is all gone: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

excellant advice from mommal

use that link to wean off formula and keep your baby close to you.

Nursing should be done on demand, this means if you think the baby is hungry or needs to suck just put her to your breast. I know it is hard not seeing how much goes in, just do as mommal suggested and you will do well. Trust your body

You can do it! Check out that link. Watching diapers, poop and pee, will give you confidence that your body will adjust and produce enough milk. Also drink as much water as you possibly can and trust you body. Good luck and let us know how it's going.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language