Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2.5 week baby cought a cold

Default 2.5 week baby cought a cold

Hi,

My 2.5 week old baby cought a cold. She's feeling congestion especially from her nose and it was hard for her to sleep in the middle of nite. I felt so bad and guilty that she cought a cold but I had no idea how she got it.

Did any of your younger one get a cold? What are someways to comfort her? They can't take medication. I felt so bad.

Joy

Default Re: 2.5 week baby cought a cold

Oh i am so sorry your newborn has a stuffy nose and could not sleep. How lucky she is to have your warm nutritious chock full of natural anti-body mother's milk. your loving arms and that rubber nasal snot sucker-outer is all she needs. of course if she is running a fever please take her to the doctor.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

You can also squirt breastmilk up her nose (sounds gross, I know... but it really does work). It clears the nasal passageways and wont dry her nose. I use to do that for my little one and at the very least it would clear him up so that he could nurse without having to worry about breaking the latch to take a breath from his mouth

Continuing to breastfeed is the most important thing because you are giving her antibodies through your milk - this will help her get over her cold much faster.

It's not a nice feeling when you see your little ones uncomfortable - I hope it passes soon mama
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Check your humidity (although this is the season for humidity). If it's dry (under 60%) you should run a humidifier. Try to keep her elevated, it will help her breathing. Keep on nursing!!

My LO caught a terrible cold at 5 weeks and I was furious. DH's family had a get together and MIL wanted to hold the baby - I went with DD1 to the dance floor and came back to some STRANGE WOMAN HOLDING MY BABY!! I lost it on DH and told him I wanted to leave RIGHT NOW. She got sick a few days later. It's scary when tiny's get sick. Hopefully she'll be over it soon.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

My DD caught a cold when she was only a couple weeks old. Her breathing was so noisy it was unnerving. I slept with her propped up in my armpit for about a week until she got over it. with pp to try the Nose-frieda snot-sucker and use breast milk up her nose to help loosen things up. Also call your Dr. if she develops a cough or a fever though.

Thanks for all your advice.

I took her to see the doctor this afternoon. Like what you all suggested, use the Nose-frieda snot-sucker and breast milk up her nose. Since she's too young, there's no medication for her. I will have to sleep with here these couple of nights it's needed.

Joy